Epilogue

The assassin paused at the tracks leading north. The foolish Magi were not even trying to hide their trail. He could easily pick out the group of three riding together, and the fourth, trailing them. A woman by the slightly lighter mark of her mount. If he was lucky, then, it would be both of his targets in one place.

As he knelt near the night cooled earth, the slip of cloth on his palm shifted, causing the new brand that lay there to reopen and shoot pain up his arm.

He ignored it, the king's mark he received when accepting his assignment effectively covered the skull and sword, and if he was caught, like the last brother, they were much better off with the wily one thinking a mere king behind his troubles.

If only the little witch girl had done as her father said and lured the demon spawn from his bed that night she stole his scroll, then he wouldn't be chasing the cursed man through the steppes. Ahhh...it can't be helped. At least both she and her vengeful father were taken care of without his intervention.

Yet now he must wander the barren steppes until he found the man. The brotherhood was very clear. None were to possess any hint of the sacred knowledge, or the brotherhood itself. And not only had this one found the sacred mark, but also had obtained information on the location of the forbidden temple.

Even more important, and concerning, was the rumor that he had somehow found the past seeker. And that was what had the brotherhood tied in knots, eager to do away with the threat to the order, and to all people. It was his sacred duty to destroy the bearer of such power, and so he would, by whatever means necessary.

###

I hope you have enjoyed this journey with Aya and company, thank you giving my work a try. Please consider leaving a review at your favorite retailer.

Connect with me:

Follow me on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/Matthews_L_S

Like me on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/LSMatthews/295740163932755

or favorite me at Smashwords