Chapter 1.

"Keep your right hand under the cross-guard and make sure your hands are spaced out!" Llewyn instructed observing the students gripping their wooden swords. He was in charge of training the new students in time for the yearly knight selection. "Your forms still need work. Hold your body upright and don't slouch!" Llewyn pulled out his own sword to demonstrate. All the students stopped and watched bright-eyed, determined not to miss their captain's demonstration.

The sword glowed blue and sparkled as the sunlight reflected off of its blade. Llewyn positioned the sword like it was an extension of his own arm. He remembered how his own commander had beat him up many times till he had perfected it enough to do it even in his sleep. A slight wind blew carrying with it green leaves that surrounded the captain as his chestnut hair moved with the breeze and his dark blue eyes shone.

"Llewyn, showing off your form again? Anymore and your students will start drooling." A blonde slender man with hazel eyes said joining the group of students who were trying their best not to clap and cheer. He was as tall as an alpha but had no pheromones and he was only half as muscular as Llewyn. "Dexter? What are you doing here?" Llewyn turned to face his students while his sword flew back into the scabbard on its own, the blue light it previously emitted disappearing slowly. "Practice your forms now. Anyone who hasn't perfected it by the end of today will have troll duty in the dungeons!" Groans and whispers filled the hot summer air.

Llewyn walked towards his friend not before adding, "And if I see any alphas or omegas frolicking with each other, you'll have to spar with me tomorrow!" A murmur passed among the students as they picked up their wooden swords. Some joked how the betas were excused to do what they wanted while others complained eyeing their partners from a distance. But they all collectively agreed on one thing. Sparing with the captain? The captain who had single handedly defeated a dragon when he was just their age? The captain who was set to become the next commander? Yeah no. Not even the sweet allure of romance could alleviate broken bones and unspeakable pain.

"You're tough as ever on them, Lyn. You sure they're not gonna mutiny against you or anything?" Dexter laughed as they strolled through the open flower fields near the training grounds. Llewyn smirked, "Those halfwitted knuckleheads can't even organize themselves in lines during supper. I'd be proud if they could even land an attack on me." He plucked a nearby sleeping poppy, a bright red flower that bloomed in moonlight and was used to tame werewolves, and threw it at his friends back. Their swords clanged as they walked and the heat of the sun would have made them sweat if it weren't for the cooling charms.

"You call them idiots but I know you were the one who brought up the suggestion to train them to the prince. Otherwise we'd still only be admitting the rich students. You've got a soft spot for them, don't you." Dexter caught the poppy before it hit him with his back turned. The poppy glowed yellow around the edges as it was gently placed on the ground. "Still using your core magic for everything huh?" Llewyn said keeping pace with his beta friend.

"Well I'm not as strong as an alpha or an exception like you. Magic's all I've got." Llewyn whacked his friend's head. "You know I got this far from training. Besides it's not a bad thing, I can't infuse magic into artifacts or cast spells nearly as good as you. All I've got is this body so I make the best use of it." The two friends laughed it off as they made their way to the academy grounds.

"I've got those suppressant herbs for you. I know your heat still hasn't come for the past five years but I think it's better for you to take them." Dexter chimed. Yes, Llewyn was an omega. That wasn't an secret. The lowest and weakest of all species. Treated as mere tools for reproduction due to their child bearing capabilities despite the gender, Llewyn's existence was nothing more than that. Atleast it would have been.

However ever since he had enrolled in the academy and started training, partially due to his parents royal background and connections, there was no one to question his status. It also helped that he had only experienced heat once in his life and no longer emitted an omega's bewitching pheromones or so they were called. In reality omegas got the shorter end of the stick, being forcibly marked or sold. Once he became commander, Llewyn planned to use his authority to bring about a change.

"I keep telling you I don't need them. My heat will never come back and I'd prefer it that way." Llewyn unconsciously touched the back of his nape even though it was under layers of cloth and armour. His heart pricked as he traced the outline of a mark over the clothes. This was a secret he would carry to his grave.

When an omega in heat is marked by an alpha they become a pair, to be specific mates for life. The omega's pheromones no longer affect other alphas and their heats become unstable or non-existent in the absence of their alphas. Most people go their entire life without marking or getting marked. Alpha owners marked their omega slaves to assert control but other than that bastardly act of dominance, marking was a sacred commitment between lovers who pledged their lives for each other. Stronger and more binding than the vows of marriage uttered by their beta counterparts.

Betas made more than half the population and lived their whole lives never experiencing heats, ruts or pheromones. As such they lived more peaceful ordinary lives. Alphas conventionally on the other hand lived even better lives, seen as the top of the hierarchy although small in numbers, they came to positions of power and received prestige simply for their status. All reigning monarchs of the Amaryllis kingdom were alphas and those that were royalty but not alphas received ducal titles and the like.

"I hope you didn't drag me out of training to tell me to take suppressants, Dex." Llewyn said stretching his arms. "Ofcourse not. I know you'd kill me. Listen Lyn, the prince has appointed a new captain to give the students magic lessons since I'm busy with the examination preparations. I hear he's an alpha who used to study here." Llewyn shrugged, "Alpha, omega, human, monster. I don't care who or what's coming as long they are as capable as you."

"That's just like you Lyn. I heard the alpha's also proficient in sword fighting." Dexter moved his fingers in the air casting a silent spell. The doors of the academy glowed yellow as they opened slowly, almost dramatically. "Though no one could ever compare to you." Llewyn rolled his eyes following his friend inside the cool hallway that led to the main hall where important discussions took place. Paintings of valiant soldiers adorned the walls and ceiling and the floor was made of brown and orange cobblestone all infused with protection magic. Antique pieces, armors, historic swords etc were placed along the side, some enclosed in crystal glass cases for both attraction and security. There were no windows here so candle light lit their way despite the time.

"The alpha must be pretty important if the prince himself is introducing him to us." Dexter noted as they moved swiftly side by side. "The prince is famed to be smart, wise and just for a reason. I'd trust his decisions." Llewyn claimed. They stopped in front of the big wooden doors. Llewyn suddenly sensed a presence behind them but before he could react, the doors opened with a creak and Llewyn was overcome by another feeling. A feeling he thought he'd restrained five years ago.

In the middle of the hall stood Prince Basil and his guard ex-Commander Caspian accompanied by another figure dressed in black. The prince, an alpha, had flaming red hair and piercing amber eyes which were characteristics of the royal family of Amaryllis. He looked magnificent in gold and red robes but short next to the burly beta commander. But Llewyn's attention was on the third person in the room. An alpha one could tell by the pheromones and stature. Dressed completely in black, his pale skin contrasted his dark black hair that reached past his shoulders and his bright green eyes.

Llewyn shuddered. He fought to keep subside his emotions as his eyes roamed the dark hair he had once stroked and ran his fingers through. The green eyes that he had once stared into for hours. The pale skin that had once blushed a pretty pink when they held hands and exchanged sweet nothings under the giant oak tree behind the academy.

Llewyn for the second time that day unconsciously gripped the back of his neck hard. He felt something that had been dormant inside of him rise. A low whirring in his stomach. He already felt light headed and nauseous. He leaned towards Dexter and whispered, "Those suppressant herbs you mentioned. I'll take them."

(A/N: Thank you for checking out this story. I promise there will be regular updates. This book is solely dedicated to my friend [you know who you are] who will probably be my first reader. Regardless of who I'm writing for, I hope everyone reading this book will enjoy it! Now onto the next chapter you go.)