𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘 𝐎𝐍𝐄

┏━━━━⋆。゚☁︎。⋆☾ ゚。⋆━━━━┓

LIAR, LIAR

AUGUSTINE WAS STILL SHELL–SHOCKED WHEN FOUR CLOAKED FIGURES GLIDED INTO THE CLEARING.

Emmett had eventually roused her upright after the pack retreated back to the reservation, her head feeling like it was plunged beneath a pool of ice water.

Despite the pain being non existent now, the incessant fear pounding in her chest still lingered. Her right arm hung limply at her side, and she made it a point to avoid looking down at all costs. Even the sight of it and the knowledge that she was missing a fucking limb had her throat closing involuntarily.

Emmett and Rosalie practically bracketed her as the figures moved in, lowering their hoods in an odd unison. The ravenette managed to catch the gaze of the witch twin with ease, finding he was already looking in her direction. She couldn't find it in herself to do anything but mouth a single sentence to him.

You lied to me.

He mouthed something in return.

I know.

Remorse flickered in his heated gaze, extinguishing just as quickly as it came when Jane's voice rung out first. "Impressive," she began. "I've never seen a coven escape an assault of this magnitude intact."

It was Carlisle who spoke up next in response. "We were lucky." Emmett let out a small scoff at that, so tiny that Augustine would've missed it had she not been literally glued to his side.

Augustine watched as Jane's eyes slid over to her body, stiffening when she heard her respond with an, "I doubt that."

As if they had some type of twin telepathy, which Augustine wouldn't put past them, she noticed how Alec's eyes darted to the place where her right hand should've been. The ravenette also noticed how his lips parted in what she could only assume was disbelief.

No matter how much she shrunk under his gaze, she wanted him to know that it was his fault. The Volturi knew all along, and they hadn't done a single thing— he hadn't warned her. She met his gaze harshly, and he saw it as a challenge.

"It appears we've missed an entertaining fight," Alec's voice was sharp in her ears, sounding the same as the day she'd first met him in Italy. The vampire was clearly feeding off of his sister's chaotic energy as he surveyed the scene, though his crimson eyes always settled back onto her arm.

For the second time that day, Augustine wished she had the ability to throw up because shit, she desperately wanted to. Her left hand reached out to squeeze Rosalie's arm, uncomfortable, and of course Alec's eyes easily caught the action.

Jane nodded, her own eyes landing on the pair's movements. "Yes— it's not often we're rendered unnecessary," Jane stated matter-of-factly, unblinking as she stared at the coven as if she was trying to get more information on what actually transpired.

Edward spoke up from his spot beside Bella, who seemed to be clutching onto him. "If you had arrived half an hour ago you would've fulfilled your purpose," he replied, lips pressed into a thin line as he glanced displeased in Jane's direction.