chapter one

The night my parents were brutally murdered and my brother went missing, my world came crashing down. I was left with nothing but the clothes on my back, shattered memories, and an unquenchable thirst for vengeance. Though I was trained to be an assassin, I had never imagined using my skills in this way. My only goal was to find my brother and ensure his safety.

For weeks, I scoured every corner of the city, following every lead and tracing the bloody path left by those who had shattered my life. I crossed borders, evaded security cameras, and fought anyone who dared stand in my way. Every step I took away from my past life felt like a dagger in my heart, but my determination never faltered. The fire burning within me, fueled by the need to save my brother and bring justice to those who had wronged me, never wavered. One night, in a dark alley in an unfamiliar city, I finally found a lead. A name, a face, and an address. I knew this was it. This was the break I had been waiting for. I made my way to the address, my heart racing, and my hands shaking with anticipation and fear. When I finally reached the door, I paused for a moment, taking a deep breath to steady my nerves. Then, with a single, steadying breath, I knocked.

As I pushed the door open, it creaked loudly, revealing a dark and gloomy room. A figure emerged from the shadows, barely visible, watching me with a pair of piercing eyes. The flickering light of a television illuminated the room, casting eerie shadows on the walls. "Scarlett Lewis?" the voice sounded hoarse and menacing. I gulped, my heart racing faster than ever. "You've found me," I replied, trying to mask the fear in my voice with a calm tone.

A chill ran down my spine as I realized that everything was a lie. A sinister game designed to trap me. But I had to stay strong. I couldn't let it break me. "Prove it," I asked, my voice trembling, "Show me the body. Show me the proof."

The figure stepped forward, and I could see him more clearly now. He was a middle-aged man with a cold, cruel smile on his face. He pulled a crumpled photo from his pocket and handed it to me. I took it hesitantly, and my heart sank as I saw my parents' faces, frozen in a moment of happiness. "That was taken just hours before the accident," he said, his voice devoid of any emotion. "They're dead, Scarlett. There's no one left to come for you."

I felt a sharp pain in my chest as I stared at the photo. It was them, but something didn't quite add up. There was an unsettling feeling in the pit of my stomach. "Why are you telling me this?" I asked, my voice barely audible. "Why now?"The man's deep chuckle echoed through the dimly lit room, sending a chill down Scarlett's spine. His eyes, dark and intense, bore into hers as he spoke. "Oh, Scarlett. You're much too smart for your good," he said, his voice laced with a sense of foreboding. "I'm telling you this because I want you to know that there's no point in looking any further. Your parents are dead, and so is your brother. There's no one left to avenge them. No one left to bring you home."

I leaned in closer, his breath hot against my cheek. "You belong to us now," he whispered, his tone sinister and cold. I knew then that he wasn't just talking about joining a criminal organization. There was something more sinister at play here, something that made my heart race with fear.

But despite the terror coursing through my veins, I refused to let him win. I lifted my chin defiantly, my voice steady and strong. "Then I guess I'll just have to make my own home," I replied. My words seemed to strike a nerve with the man, and his face contorted into a sneer. "You think you're so tough, don't you?" he spat, before lunging at me.