Chapter eight

Lucis rolled out of bed and went to the kitchen to make breakfast. I sat up, stretching my arms above my head, and wandered over to the window, watching as he moved about the kitchen with such ease and familiarity. It was almost hypnotic, the way he could take care of himself so effortlessly. It made me feel safe and protected, knowing that he was there for me.

I heard a clatter from the kitchen and turned to see Lucis standing beside the counter, holding a plate of eggs and toast. He grinned at me, his hair tousled from sleep. "Breakfast in bed?" he asked, handing me the plate. "Of course," I replied, kissing him on the cheek. "You make the best breakfasts." He blushed, setting the plate down on my lap. "Thanks. I'm glad you like it."

We ate in companionable silence, enjoying the simple pleasure of being together. After we finished, Lucis cleared the dishes and I went to take a shower. As the hot water cascaded over me, I couldn't help but feel grateful for this life I'd found with him. It was nothing like I'd ever imagined, but it was perfect.

When I emerged from the bathroom, I found Lucis sitting on the edge of the bed, fiddling with his phone. He looked up when I stepped into the room and smiled at me. "Hey, you okay?" he asked. I nodded, feeling a blush creep up my neck. "Yeah, just thinking about everything that's going on." He set his phone aside and came over to wrap his arms around me. "I know it's scary, but we'll get through this together. I promise." His words were comforting, and I felt a wave of relief wash over me.

We spent the rest of the morning talking and laughing, trying to distract ourselves from the reality of our situation. I helped him with his laundry, and he taught me how to play chess. As the afternoon progressed, we became more and more aware of the fact that our time together might be limited. We didn't want to dwell on it, but the weight of it hung over us like a cloud.