Chapter four

Feeling grateful for his consideration, I nodded in agreement and made my way back to the bedroom. The room was cozy and inviting, with a freshly made bed that exuded a faint scent of lavender. I changed into my pajamas and nestled under the covers, hoping to find solace in the comfort of the soft sheets and the tranquil ambiance of the room. However, despite my fatigue, sleep refused to come. My mind was still consumed by the argument with my parents, leaving me feeling trapped and alone.

In my restless state, I began to talk in my sleep, my voice muffled by the pillow. "Stop, please she can't take it!" I pleaded, the words tumbling out incoherently.

After an eternity, I eventually drifted off into an uneasy slumber. However, it was short-lived. In the wee hours of the morning, I was awakened by the sound of Lucis calling my name in a gentle whisper. "Scarlett?" he said softly, his voice a soothing balm to my restless soul. "Are you awake?"

Feeling groggy, I sat up and rubbed my bleary eyes. "Yeah, I'm up," I replied, my voice hoarse with sleep. "What time is it?"

Lucis glanced over at the clock on his nightstand before answering. "It's almost four in the morning. You've been tossing and turning a lot. I thought you might want some company." He moved closer to the bed and sat down beside me, his presence bringing me a sense of comfort and safety.

"Thanks," I muttered, snuggling deeper into the covers. "I'm sorry I woke you up."

Lucis chuckled softly. "It's alright. I'm glad to be here for you. Would you like me to read to you or something?"

Feeling grateful for his offer, I nodded in agreement, feeling a sense of relief wash over me. "That sounds nice," I said, snuggling in closer to him. As he began to read from one of the books on the nearby nightstand, his voice was smooth and melodic, transporting me to a different world. The story was about two star-crossed lovers, and I found myself getting lost in the tale, feeling a sense of peace and tranquility that I had not felt in a long time.

As he read, I let my eyes drift shut, imagining myself in a different life, one where I wasn't trapped in a cycle of pain and heartache. For the first time in ages, I felt safe and cared for, a fleeting but comforting sensation that I hoped would last forever. Lucis paused in his reading, setting the book aside. "Are you still with me, Scar?" he asked softly, his voice gentle and soothing. I nodded, opening my eyes again. "I'm right here," he said, reaching out to brush a stray lock of hair from my forehead. "You know you can talk to me about anything, anytime."

I took a deep breath, feeling my heart racing with anticipation. I wanted to tell Lucis how I felt, to express the overwhelming desire to stay with him forever. I looked into his eyes and whispered, "I just wish I could stay here with you. I wish I could forget about everything else and just be happy."

Lucis's smile was gentle and reassuring, and I felt his thumb tracing soothing circles on my cheek. He whispered back, "You can stay with me, Scar. As long as you need to. And we'll figure out a way to make you happy again. I promise."