Chapter three

As Lucis helped me remove my leather jacket, he saw all the cuts and bruises that covered my body. His face tightened with concern, and he let out a low whistle. "Man, you got it bad this time, Scarlett."

I winced as he started to clean my wounds, but I managed a weak smile. "Yeah, well, you know how it is. You get in too deep with these people, they don't take it too kindly when you try to leave."

Lucis nodded, his expression somber. "I know. Trust me, I know. I'm sorry, Scarlett, but this is going to hurt. Ready?"

I braced myself as he started to work on my wounds, and I couldn't help but feel grateful for his care and attention. His words hit me harder than any ve someone like him by my side.

As Lucis finished wrapping my last wound, he stepped back to survey his work. His face was a mixture of concern and relief. "You're going to be as good as new in no time, Scarlett. Just give it a few days of rest and some good food, and you'll be right as rain."

I nodded, feeling a wave of exhaustion wash over me. "Thanks, Lucis. I appreciate everything you've done."

Lucis smiled, his eyes twinkling with amusement. "Oh, come on, Scarlett. You know I'd do anything for you. Besides, it's not like I had anything better to do tonight."

He moved to sit down on the edge of the bed, his expression turning more serious. "But seriously, I'm worried about you. Those men were no joke. They're going to come after you again, and you need to be prepared. You can't keep running away like this. We need to come up with a plan, figure out how we're going to get you out of this mess."

His words hung in the air like a weight, pressing down on my already bruised and battered body. I knew he was right, but I didn't know how to tell him that I was scared. Scared of what the future held for me, scared of the danger that still lurked outside, and scared of what would happen to us if we failed. have to do that," I said, feeling a little guilty. "I can clean up myself next time."

Lucis waved off my words with a dismissive hand. "It's no trouble. It's the least I can do while you're stuck here."

I took a bite of my salad, chewing thoughtfully. "Thanks, Lucis. I appreciate it." I paused, searching for something else to say. "So, I was thinking... maybe you could show me around the city sometime? When things calm down, I mean."

He nodded, a thoughtful expression on his face. "Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. There's a lot to see and do here. We could start with the usual tourist traps, you know, the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre, and then maybe work our way down from there." He smiled at me, and I felt a warmth spread through my chest. "You'll love it, Scar. I promise."

Finishing our meal, we cleared away the dishes and retired to the living room. Hey, Scar do you want to watch a movie or something?" Lucis offered, flipping through the channels on the television. I shrugged, feeling a bit tired from the day. "If it's not too much trouble, I really should get to bed early. I've got another long day of school tomorrow."

"Of course," Lucis said with an understanding smile, his eyes filled with empathy. "I should let you rest. I'll turn in too." With a gentle gesture towards the bedroom, he added, "You can use the guest bed when you're ready."