Chapter 3: Naomi

Naomi

• ────── ✾ ────── •

As the crimson liquor in my glass caught the light, casting a warm glow against the cut glass, I marveled at the symphony of flavors it held. A concoction of delight, the oak-smoked bourbon caressed my palate, with hints of spicy honey and bitters adding a complexity that demanded attention. The drink, aptly named "Forbidden Desire," was as mysterious and evocative as the hidden speakeasy that served it, and I savored the way the amber liquid swirled around the contours of my mouth.

I closed my eyes, allowing myself to become lost in the richness of the experience.

I turned my head to the side, smiling at Lila as she laughed. "I guess I do need to come out more," I conceded playfully, feeling a sense of relaxation wash over me as I took in the serene surroundings. "Yes, it's lovely," I agreed, mirroring her appreciation for the soothing atmosphere.

Intriguing paintings depicting tales of yore adorned the walls, and strategically placed vintage photographs of legendary jazz artists evoked emotions I couldn't quite put into words. It was as if I had been transported through time into a different world, where one could enjoy a slower pace away from the ceaseless frenzy life had so often become.

Overwhelmed by the beauty surrounding me, I released a sigh of wonder. "It is! How did you find this place, again?"

"It was so random; I got an invite from a complete stranger," she chuckled into her drink as she took a sip. "I guess someone from the old neighborhood owns this place, and I was on their list. I figured, why not? I get a free pass into a secret club and a chance to unwind from the daily grind. Where could I go wrong?"

As I gazed around the cozy interior, I felt a profound sense of belonging wash over me. This hidden gem had an allure that enveloped me, like a comforting embrace on a chilly evening. The atmosphere radiated a captivating warmth, drawing me deeper into its enchanting ambiance.

Maybe it was the low hum of conversation, the smoky scent of the bourbon in my glass, or the eclectic mix of patrons that filled the dimly lit space. Whatever it was, I found myself sinking deeper into the worn velvet upholstery, soaking up the atmosphere in a way I hadn't in years.

Lila leaned in, her voice hushed. "Tell me, Naomi, when was the last time you let loose, hmm? Truly given yourself permission to relax and enjoy?"

I tilted my head, considering her question. "It's been a while," I admitted, recalling the fleeting moments of happiness I had stolen from my fast-paced life back when I was in college. Several years ago.

"Too long," Lila said, shaking her head. "You need to live, baby girl. Experience more than just work. Love, passion, lust... These are things we need as much as air and water. Trust me; I know what I'm talking about."

My cheeks flushed at the suggestion, but I didn't deny it.

She was right. For too long, I had allowed my work to define me, to consume me. I had sacrificed moments of pleasure for the sake of achievement, and now, in this dimly lit establishment, I began to realize the true cost of my choices. I truly have been missing out.

I felt the weight of Lila's gaze, her eyes full of concern and love.

Lila took a slow sip of her drink, her eyes never leaving mine.

It was impossible to hide anything from her; she saw right through me, like she always had. And yet, instead of judging me, or forcing me to be the person I'd outgrown, she offered understanding and encouragement.

"Naomi, you have this incredible gift for connecting with people, for understanding what they need," she said, her voice barely above a whisper. "But you never let yourself truly feel it. You keep everyone at arm's length, even me."