Shadow Girl

The food didn't take long to get here at all and the group of us were sitting on the sofas near the window, chatting. Clint and Maria were sitting on the floor in front of the sofa Bruce was sitting on. Only he was turned to his left speaking to Natasha on the adjacent chair. Dr. Cho was sitting beside her on another chair that was closest to Thor and Steve was a little further down on the same one. My Dad, Uncle Rhodey, and I were across the table from Nat and Dr. Cho, on the opposite matching chairs. I happened to be the closer one to Steve, but I didn't plan it that way, it just sort of happened.

The conversations ranged from past stories, to the different talents of everyone in the room, which naturally segwayed into Thor's hammer. It's a great mystery to everyone as to how he's the only one who can pick it up. I, however, think nothing that is alien makes sense and don't want to hurt my brain trying to figure it out.

"It's a trick!" Clint called out.

"No no, it's much more than that." Thor insisted.

Clint lifted his arms in exaggeration as he mocked Thor, "'Whosoever be he worthy, shall haveth the power.' Whatever man, it's a trick!" Clint scoffed.

Thor held out his hand towards the hammer, "Please, by my guest."

"Come on, really?" Clint asked.

"Yeah!" My dad encouraged as Clint got to his feet.

"Oh this is going to be beautiful." Uncle Rhodey chimed in.

"We know you've had a bit of a hard week so we won't hold it against you." Was my dad's teasing remark.

"Any bets?" I asked as I took a sip of my drink.

"Don't get cocky baby Stark. You're trying next." Clint said, wrapping his hand around the handle.

He pulled a few times and the hammer didn't budge. He tried to put more force behind it, letting a few grunts out in the process. He gave up after a couple moments and chuckled as he stepped aside.

"I still don't know how you do it." Clint said, reclaiming his seat but on the sofa this time.

"Do you smell the silent judgment?" Tony asked.

"Please Stark. By all means." Clint invited.

"Nellie, weren't you going to go next?" My dad gestured to me.

I shook my head and giggled a little, "I have no interest in proving Thor right."

"Wise woman." Thor responded, tilting his drink in my direction.

"Fun sucker." He said and cleared his throat as he stood up, "Although the younger Stark has chickened out, I am never one to shrink from an honest challenge.

"I'm not chickening out. I'm just smarter than you, I guess."

"Yeah, yeah. It's just physics." My dad said as he grabbed the hammer, "So if I lift it, I then rule Asgard?"

"Yes, of course." Thor humored him.

"Get ready to become a proper princess Nellie." Tony said, using his other hand to grip the hilt as well, "I will, of course, be reinstituting prima nocta." He gave the hammer a good tug and it didn't budge, "I'll be right back." He said before leaving.

"He's gone to get the suit." I rolled my eyes, "As if that's going to help."

"Sure you don't want to give it a try?" Steve asked.

"Not even a little. I'll leave it up to the men to lord over." I said, leaning back in my chair, smiling contently.

Sure enough, just like I said, it became a contest of who would be the one to lift the hammer. Dad came back with the arm of his suit but still couldn't make it shift even an inch. He even had Uncle Rhodey join in with him. Bruce tried to pull with all his might, even pretending to bring the green guy out. I couldn't help but giggle at that one.