Chapter One: Encounters

The two packs, Fog & Red Hills, faced off, tails raised in determination, hackles lifting, teeth flashing in the cold moonlight, glinting like daggers. They stood like this for several heartbeats, before a single howl lifted into the sky, neither moved for a second, before suddenly, they flew at each other, teeth ripping flesh, claws tearing fur from their opponents hide.

"Cardinal!" the she-wolf lifted her head, yawning, as a black paw pawed her muzzle. A single pair of blue eyes glinted in the weak dawn sunlight, filtering through the entrance of the den. "Training, remember?" The black and white canine attempted to jog Cardinals memory, watching as the young she-wolves golden eyes flashed with recognition. Just last night, she had been named a Training Paw! It was her first day of training! Not bothering to pick the leaf litter, and whatever else stuck in her soft fur, she raced out, her Guiding Paw following more slowly. "Slow down there, I haven't even informed you on what you're doing!" The black and white she-wolf exclaimed, tripping her Training Paw by sticking out a forelimb. "Ow! Moon!" Cardinal exclaimed, rolling back unto her paws, and glaring at Moon. "I told you, "you need to slow down" ." Moon shrugged, fixing her Training Paw with her own cool blue gaze. "Fiiiine! I'll slow down!" Cardinal grumbled, following her Guiding Paw towards the entrance. Moon paused, turning to Cardinal.

"I figured I'd show you our border with Fog Pack. Perhaps we'll see a patrol. I warn you, don't cross the border, as they will tear a pup like you clean in two!" Moon warned her Training Paw, emphasizing this with a warning glance. "Trust me! I've seen it with my own eyes!" Cardinal froze, looking as if she had seen a Star Walker standing in front of her nose. "Cardinal! Don't be that way, I haven't seen it happen, and doubt it ever will. So snap out of your trance, and follow me!" Moon barked, disappearing behind a large oak, its branches covered in gold and red leaves, shining like butterflies from the morning dew.

"Moon?" Cardinal yelped, chasing after the She-Wolf. "Why do we have borders? Couldn't we just... I don't know, combine the two packs? We'd have more Prey-Bringers and Bo...—" Moon turned around, bristling. "No! The packs would fall into chaos, and the Alpha's would be clashing constantly! There would also be too many mouths to feed!" Cardinal paused for a moment, her jaws parting at a barely audible oh.
"But... We wouldn't have to fight! There'd be no more bloodshed!" Cardinal insisted, her tail waving slightly. "No Cardinal. It's impossible. There has always been two packs, and it will stay that way, if it is the will of the Star Walkers...Now, let's get moving." Cardinal nodded, following her Guiding Paw obediently. At least I know what not to ask her... Cardinal thought, flattening her ears against her head, keeping her eyes focused on the older She-wolves hindquarters. She did not want to lose sight of Moon. She didn't know her packs territory, and wasn't looking forward to getting lost. "Moon? Will I ever be as brave as you?" Moon didn't respond, raising her tail for silence. "Cardinal, look!" She whispered, her nose pointed towards the border. Cardinal was unable to recognize the scent.

"That, Cardinal, is Fog Pack scent, remember it, as they don't follow borders..." Moons lip curled in disgust, her fur bristling, as her blue eyes fixed on a few pale pelts across the border. "Fog Pack Border Walkers!" Cardinal barked, preparing to throw herself across the border. Moon acted quickly, pinning her Training Paw to the earth with a snarl. "No!" Cardinal shrank back, pelt hot with embarrassment. "Sorry Moon..." she whimpered, tail tucked between her legs. "And you should be sorry! You could have been killed!" Moon snapped, her fur bristling in anger. "I said i'm sorry!" Cardinal cried, tears streaming down her muzzle. Sniffing, she ran, returning to the camp, before burying her muzzle under her tail.