Chapter Two: Darkening Clouds

It's not fair! Cardinal thought, tears still dampened her fur. She hadn't meant to disappoint her Guiding Paw! By the Star Walkers! She hadn't wanted to disappoint any wolf!  "Cardinal? Stop feeling sorry for yourself, and get out here!" She growled softly, and peeked through the entrance, being grabbed by the scruff by her best friend Willow. "Agh! H-hey! Now there's thorns in my fur! Bear-Brain!" Willow shrugged, grinning. "Too bad! Lets go! Cinders just had her litter!" Cardinals eyes filled with delight, finally! New pups in the clan! She wasn't the youngest anymore! "Wait–really?!" She yapped, her tail wagging, merely a reddish-orange blur behind her. The two she-wolves raced towards the whelping den, quite happily. I'm surprised Moon hasn't gone after me... Cardinal pushed the thought away, she felt guilty, running off like she did.

"So cute!" Cardinal squealed, her eyes full of wonder as she watched the three squirming bundles. Harpy lay next to his mates side, his own gaze full of love. "Their names are Jackal, Thicket, and Breeze." Willow whispered, casting a sideways glance at Cardinal. "I love them all!" She replied, backing out of the den, she knew she had to find her Guiding Paw, apologize perhaps.
"Moon?" Cardinal looked around, spotting her Guiding Paw talking with a few other wolves. She flattened her ears, ducking behind a nearby stump, and strained her ears, trying to catch some of their conversation.
"Cardinal can be a pain at times, but she's keen on learning!" Moon growled defensively; hackles lifted. "I wouldn't be so sure. She seemed to be arguing with you during your "tour of the territory"." Moon sighed, her blue eyes cold. "It wasn't an "argument" it was a "debate"." She shot back. Clearing her throat, Cardinal crept up to her Guiding Paws side.
"Moons the best I could ever receive, you're just too Bear-Brained to notice it!" Moon cast her a sideways glance, flicking her ears in acknowledgment.
"Sure, Skunk-Breath!" One wolf spat, his lips peeled back to reveal sharp teeth. Moon whipped towards him, unhappy with his comment, "Say that again!"
"I will say that again! And tear your face off in the process!"

"Skunk-Breath! Skunk-Breath, Skunk-Breath, Skunk-Breath!" With a howl of pure rage, Cardinal threw herself at the male, sinking her teeth into his foreleg. "Cardinal! NO!" Moon leapt forward, her path soon blocked by the other two wolves. With a howl of pain, the wolf threw her off, her head hitting a cluster of rocks, before she squealed, sinking to the ground, blood streaming from a gash on the side of her head, staining the ground, and causing the rocks to turn a deep maroon. "No!" Moon sobbed, her blue eyes flooding with tears.