Chapter Five: The Struggles Of Exile

Surviving out here, alone... In the wilderness... It took a toll on you, both your body, and your soul...Thats why it's better for you to never suffer alone...

. . .

Moon yawned, her sharp, white canines gleaming in the weak sunlight. She had made it, at least... For a month. Feasting on small rodents, carrion, anything she could catch. At least she wasn't alone...Well–not fully alone. "Moon?" The male approached her cautiously, his brown flank brushing against hers as he stood at her side. "How long will you stare at the horizon? It's as if you sense something." Moon let out a deep breath, turning her blue gaze to her partner. "Mule, there is such things I haven't told you..." Mule nodded, a slight smile tugging at the corners of his mouth. "I'm listening. If you think I will desert you, I won't. I'm not that kind of wolf!" Moon nodded in understanding, leaning against him. "I know you aren't, thats the reason why I haven't sent you away." She murmured, turning her gaze once more in his direction. "I'm not a rouge, as I told you... I am a pack wolf..." Mules gaze widened, but he listened in grim silence as she continued. "I shouldn't have lied to you... If you want to leave–" Mule shushed her, interrupting.
"—What makes you think I would ever leave you, Moon? Ever since I found you..." Moon nodded, wiping tears from her muzzle with a soft paw. "Thank you, Mule. That...That means a lot." Mule nodded, feeling his pelt grow hot. "If you ever need me–I promise I'll be here for you. No matter where your paws take you."

. . .

"Cardinal! How are you doing?" Willow yapped, her silver tail flicking through the ferns. Cardinal lifted her head, looking miserable. "Just one half a month left of being stuck... I'm already behind in my training..." Cardinal whined, Willow nodded sympathetically, she understood how Moon felt. When Willow had been taken prisoner by Fog Pack for a month, a war had sprung, luckily, it only lasted a year, and Red Hills had won! Willow had missed a month's worth of training, but had caught up quickly. "Y'know Cardinal? You're lucky your skull hadn't shattered. I overheard the two Sign Receivers talking to the Alpha and Luna about it..." she grinned sheepishly, "–and Bold said: "I'm shocked her skull wasn't shattered on impact. Most wolves her age would have died, or ended up with severe head trauma. I suppose the Star Walkers were on her side." Isn't that ironic? It's kinda like you have powers or something!!!" Willow chattered on, Cardinal half listening, half watching an inchworm make its way across the dens floor. "Mhm–yeah?" Cardinal dipped her head self consciously. Now no longer listening to her friend drone on. I hope you return Moon. I can't bear the thought of you being gone forever!