The Next One

8-Bit POV
"I wish it was that easy," I murmured. Rico had just said that sometimes, when we truly wanted it to be, the first person we saw would be the one we loved forever. "But it's not like it'll be the next person I see, you know? The next girl, the next one."

Funny thing was, I had no idea what would happen next. And even less of an amalgamation of the next one, and destinies.

"Whoa, look at that..." I nudged Gus and Rico. "I've never seen that before—even in SuperCity."

"I've seen that before!" Gus said instantly, turning our attention to him.

As I studied the golden form carefully, I realised, "That's the golden sunbird you were talking about, isn't it? The one that was there the day your parents...left you...and you felt your soul and spirit leave you?"

Gus flinched with the reminder, rubbing the spot where his spirit had left. "It's not just any golden sunbird, it's that golden sunbird. The one. I called him 'Misfortune'."

"How odd," Rico said out loud. "I feel like it's a lucky charm or something."

"Eh, I think it's just a normal bird," I countered before turning back to the street. But my senses were there to prove me wrong, because I turned my eyes to the most beautiful girl I had ever seen. The one that would change my life forever.

Max POV
"It's not like the boy I will love will just pop out of anywhere, you know?" I told Meg and Surge, who nodded their heads sympathetically. "I just wish...I could find the one, the one who I'll love with all my heart. The one that I'll want to spend forever with. But it probably won't be the next one I see. Or the next one after that. Or the one after that, either...patience is a tricky thing."

"Just believe in what I told you, Max," Meg comforted me. "And what your mother said. He's coming, as fast as he possibly can. And for all you know, he's the next person you'll see, the next one who will sending you careening down a path of your future. The one who will make a bend in your life."

"Hopefully," I tried to sound optimistic, but statistically, the possibility of the next one I saw being my future-changer, my one and-only, was not high. But looks like that time I was wrong, because as we rounded the bend, I saw him. The next one. The one.