Solitude

Max POV
It was one week after 8-Bit and I had gotten together, and we were signed up for a race. I had started helping 8-Bit to train to become faster, as he lamented that my speed was incredible and he was always lagging behind.

"Max, are you sure we can do this?" 8-Bit said nervously, giving me that cute look that I adored. I still couldn't believe I had found someone who was the perfect person for me—and I couldn't be happier.

All of our friends wear equally excited—Rico had even rushed down to Piper's bakery and bought delicious pastries for us to enjoy. And as I stared into 8-Bit's eyes, I told him, "We can, because we're stronger than ever. We make each other a better version of ourselves, so just trust in us. And I tell you, we will do our best!"

8-Bit was a bit hesitant at first, but as he looked into the sky, he pointed at something high above, calling me, "Max, look!"

And there it was. That golden sunbird, circling high above and watching over us. Whatever it was, it seemed to be there with me at the most important moments.

"I've seen that before," I told him. "On the day of my mother's death, it was there. And it was there on the day I first met you."

"I've seen it too, " 8-Bit realised. "On the day of our first date."

But I was too distracted by something else, watching me from afar. "Dad?" I gasped.

8-Bit and I rushed over, where he pulls me into a tight embrace. And in that one hug, somehow all my prejudices and hate disappeared. But one question remained unanswered.

"What are you doing here?" I asked in confusion.

"Max, I know I haven't always been around, having gone to other countries for war. Hit finally, I can retire, and I've come back to find you. I hope you can forgive me...on the day of your mother's death, when you weren't there, it broke my heart. And now, I finally found you again, thanks to a friend." He pointed to the crowd, where Surge and Meg waved excitedly. "I hope you can forgive me, Max."

The petty side of me wanted to snap away. But I glanced at 8-Bit, who gave me a nod. So I wrapped my arms around him, saying, "Of course, Dad."

As he walked back to the stands, I looked at the golden sunbird high above, telling 8-Bit, "I don't know what that is, 8-Bit, but I'm going to call it Faith. To represent the hope I have whenever it's around."

"Sounds like a good name," 8-Bit agreed as he turned back to the race.

As I too, focused on the road ahead, I thought about my dad, and my newfound love. Finally, I was out of the despair of solitude, and in a new beginning.

So as I looked ahead, imagining all my future fates in front of me, I told 8-Bit, "It's time for us to run. As fast as we can."

Rico POV
I was walking the streets, trying to keep my mind off the depression that came with my rejection. Nobody else knew except Piper, and that was all I could handle for now.

As I rounded the bend, it began to pour furiously, and my eyes spotted a shining sunbird circling high overhead. But I focused my eyes on the road ahead, trying to get into shelter as fast as I could.

"No," I gasped. Piper was sitting on the bench in front of me, with another guy. Byron. And she was kissing him.

"No," I said to myself. It was like my heart had been shattered into smithereens, piercing me with its spiky shards. And as  hurt turned to jealousy and then red-hot anger, I ran away, splashing water everywhere. Piper noticed me, her face full of shock as she chased after me desperately, shouting, "Rico, wait!"

I wheeled around to face her, my expression burning with fury. "What do you want?" I spat.

Piper's face was etched with guilt as she stood there, holding an umbrella. "I'm sorry," she whispered. She pushed her umbrella into my hands, but I shoved it away.

"Yeah, right," I snorted. "You don't have to worry about me anymore. From now on, I won't be there with you anymore. You can live your own life."

Piper looked pained as I turned away, stalking through the rain. But I was too angry to care. Because now, I had just lost the love of my life forever. Now, I was just a robot standing under the rain. Under the rain, just in solitude.