nowhere

I close my eyes and cut through his throat. I can feel that the sickle almost cuts his head off. It makes me sick. I hear his body fall to the ground. A cannon shot can be heard in the distance. I just stand there too afraid to open my eyes to heartbroken to walk away. I slowly turn around. A heavy silence descends upon the field, broken only by the steady rhythm of the rain. I stand there, frozen in the moment, feeling the weight of his final words pressing down on me. The reality of what I've done begins to sink in, and a surge of guilt washes over me like a tidal wave. It's hard to breathe. Every trembling breath reminds me of what I just did. The life I just ended.

I wipe away the tears that blur my vision and force myself try and walk away. With a trembling hand, I hold the strap of his backpack. The weight of it a constant reminder of the burden I now carry. I steel myself against the pain and grief threatening to consume me, drawing strength from Sam's words echoing in my mind. "Show them you're more than just a piece in their game." His belief in me becomes my driving force, propelling me forward. It's the only thing that makes me walk. Every step I take is haunted by memories of Sam, his laughter, and his kindness. But I push them aside. I try to bury them deep within me where they can't distract me. Survival is all that matters now. I close my eyes as I walk past his body. I walk towards the base or my base now. I have no one to share it with. When I reach the base, I dump all my stuff. I just stand there unable to do anything. I can her the aircraft behind me, coming to pick up his body.