Chapter 14: To Be Chosen - 3

“Yes.” Qin Kaiyi hesitated, but answered honestly.

“What do you think of the secret realm that appeared suddenly this time?” Qing Xuzi’s gaze bore into Qin Kaiyi, dissecting his expression.

“The secret realm,” Qin Kaiyi began, “is inextricably linked to the Lingshan Sect’s destiny. Qin Shi, though a mere foundation-building disciple, dares not speak rashly.” His words were measured, a cautious dance on the precipice of truth. “Whatever shifu decides, I shall support wholeheartedly.”

A glimmer of satisfaction flickered in Qing Xuzi’s eyes. He paused, then leaned in. “Qin’er,” he murmured, “do you desire entry into the sky secret realm?”

Why this question? Qin Kaiyi’s heart fluttered, but he quelled the unease. “Shifu,” he replied directly, “while I yearn to witness the realm’s arcane treasures, my foundation-building stage is but a whisper. I would burden others if I ventured forth.”

“Not bad, not bad.” Qing Xuzi’s nod held approval. The impetuousness that once plagued Qin Kaiyi had waned. The old master’s heart swelled with pride. And so, he resolved: Qin Kaiyi would march alongside the others into the secret realm—a pawn in a game of fate, where magic and danger entwined.