Chapter 31: The Sword Forest Changes

Tang Shayun grappled with her decision to bring Yan Buxuan into the Sword Forest. While she carried the Kuisha—and thus harbored no fear of harm—the disciples of the Lingshan Sect trailing Yan Buxuan were in a different predicament. The moment they stepped into the Sword Forest, their fate was etched in blood.

Meanwhile, Qin Kaiyi’s hand remained affixed to the black brick, the demonic energy within him surging along his arm. Yet, he paid it no heed, instead turning his head to observe the wall displaying Tang Shayun and her team.

Unaware of the unseen observer, Tang Shayun’s expression twisted into a chilling sneer upon entering the Sword Forest. She addressed Yan Buxuan: “Yang Gongzi, I appreciate your past assistance, but I’ve repaid the favor. Now that we’re within the secret realm, let us rely on our own abilities. Shall we part ways?”

Yan Buxuan, caught off guard by Tang Shayun’s proposition, frowned disapprovingly: “Why this sudden change, Miss Tang?”

“Well, if you survive this ordeal, I don’t mind continuing our journey together,” Tang Shayun’s smile was like a blooming flower, yet its beauty concealed a venomous intent. “But henceforth, Yan Gongzi, be wary in the Sword Forest.”

With those words, she flicked her hand at the nearest suspended sword, triggering the Sword Forest’s deadly formation.

Qin Kaiyi stood transfixed, shock etched across his features as he observed the unfolding scene. Even as a mere projection, the once-still Sword Forest now responded to Tang Shayun’s movements. Undulating layers of blades converged, filling the air with crisp, ringing sounds. These countless swords, brimming with lethal intent and razor-sharp sword qi, could effortlessly cleave through ordinary steel, dispatching those who had unwittingly trespassed into forbidden territory.

Though the sword qi remained invisible to Qin Kaiyi through the wall, he witnessed the gruesome fate of its victims. Like the ancient Chinese execution method known as ling chi, their skin and flesh peeled away, their muscles and bones ground to dust, until blood dripped like that of a skinned rabbit. The Sword Forest unleashed an unrelenting barrage of sword qi, effortlessly shattering Yan Buxuan’s team.

Qin Kaiyi surveyed the now-scattered group and sighed inwardly. From the moment Tang Shayun led them into the Sword Forest, he should have grasped the inevitable truth: no one would emerge from this alive. And these sword qis were merely the opening act. 🗡️

Sure enough, as the fierce sword qi drained the spiritual energy of those present, the next mechanism sprang into action. The once-lifeless swords, suspended in midair, now resembled ravenous wolves drawn to the scent of blood. They converged upon those who had not yet succumbed to the sword qi’s fatal wounds.

Thousands of blades pierced hearts. Qin Kaiyi’s hands trembled as he witnessed the countless sharp edges slicing through bone and flesh, the dying cultivators caught in a gruesome dance of agony. This bloody tableau was unlike anything he had ever seen, and accepting it with equanimity proved nearly impossible. He fought back the urge to vomit as the bodies transformed into indistinct red masses of tissue.

“Can’t bear it any longer?” Yan Gu’s voice echoed within Qin Kaiyi’s consciousness, his face twisted into a sinister smile. “Isn’t this scene exquisite?”

“…” Gritting his teeth, Qin Kaiyi ignored Yan Gu’s taunts. He turned to Shen Feixiao, the twelve-year-old boy standing beside him, and noted the lack of reaction.

Indeed, Shen Feixiao was the protagonist. With a heavy sigh, Qin Kaiyi wore a bitter smile. If only he could escape this place and return to his original world.

In the Sword Forest, where reality and illusion intertwined, Yan Gu’s words hung in the air like a lingering echo. Qin Kaiyi squinted, his gaze shifting from the perplexing wall to the man who had just spoken.