Chapter 30: Magic Mirror

After enduring Yan Gu’s biting ridicule, Qin Kaiyi relinquished his futile desire to claim even a fraction of the treasure. He should have realized that Yan Gu’s stinginess would never permit him to take anything that rightfully belonged to Xue Xian. His naivety had led him astray.

In a sudden shift of focus, Qin Kaiyi turned to Shen Feixiao, who stood beside him. “How long has it been since you last ate?” he inquired softly. His intuition told him that Shen Feixiao hadn’t consumed anything from the moment the Hidden Treasure Pavilion materialized until their descent into the Golden House.

“Two days,” Shen Feixiao replied, his voice hoarse, as if he hadn’t tasted water either.

Anticipating this response, Qin Kaiyi promptly retrieved the remaining food and water from his storage ring, extending it to Shen Feixiao.

Yet, Shen Feixiao didn’t accept the provisions. His gaze met Qin Kaiyi’s in silence, and he uttered a simple question: “Why?”

“Why?” Qin Kaiyi didn’t immediately grasp Shen Feixiao’s intent.

“Why are you so good to me??” Shen Feixiao’s voice, like that of an irritated little beast, sharpened to the point that Qin Kaiyi almost developed a headache. “Food and water should be the most crucial things here. If you give them to me, what will you do?”

“Because…” Qin Kaiyi hesitated, torn between revealing the truth and concocting an excuse. He wanted to say to Shen Feixiao: because I’ve reached the fasting period, dear; no need to eat anymore, dear; you look terrifying, dear; I was scared to the point that my liver jumped, dear…

“If I tell you to eat, you eat,” Qin Kaiyi’s words took an unexpected turn. His tone shifted to one of mild reproach: “Where did all this nonsense come from?”

Shen Feixiao responded with his customary silence. After a while, he accepted the food Qin Kaiyi offered and consumed it in big mouthfuls.

“How long have you been here?” Qin Kaiyi seized the opportunity while Shen Feixiao ate to assess the Golden House’s structure. Although he longed to explore and touch everything, he restrained himself to maintain his image.

“Two days,” Shen Feixiao replied, his gaze fixed on Qin Kaiyi with a peculiar intensity. He seemed on the verge of saying something but hesitated.

“What’s the matter? What do you want to say?” Qin Kaiyi inquired, curious about Shen Feixiao’s hesitation.

“There is no door in this room,” Shen Feixiao stated matter-of-factly. His swift consumption of the dried food left only a bit of water in the kettle. Wiping his mouth with his sleeves, he returned the kettle to Qin Kaiyi. “If you can’t find the mechanism, you can’t get out.”

“Oh,” Qin Kaiyi responded nonchalantly. He harbored no concern; that guy Yan Gu would never allow him to perish within these walls.

“Aren’t you worried?” Shen Feixiao’s expression betrayed doubt.

“Don’t worry,” Qin Kaiyi smiled, his eyes narrowing. “We can get out.” Shen Feixiao’s doubt deepened, as if silently questioning how they would achieve that.

“Yan Gu, quickly tell me how to get out,” Qin Kaiyi urged.

“What’s with the panic?” Yan Gu’s words dripped out slowly. “Let’s not rush. Instead, let’s enjoy the show…”

“What show?” Qin Kaiyi suspected that Yan Gu was up to his usual tricks.

“Go to the wall on the far right,” Yan Gu chuckled. “Place your palm on the black brick.”