7~Stella

Joke's On You- Charlotte Lawrence
__________

"Careful who you trust with something, because they know enough to destroy it."

__________

Ring. Ring.

Ignoring the ring I placed a pillow above my head. I wanted sleep. I needed it.

Ring. Ring.

"For fuck's sake." I groaned out loud as I realized that my sister was calling me.

Opening the call, I started talking forgetting to use my fake voice.

"What do you want Stella." I said with a hint of annoyance in my voice.

"Someone wants to kill you. " She blurted out.

Silence.

"What?" I questioned her again. My voice dropped lower, my hand clenching around the phone.

My hair was messy from my sleep and my head hurt from the lack of it. My voice was exactly how it used to be. Smooth, strong but this time mixed with emotion. I didn't have enough time to grasp how I was talking. I was entirely focused on the part that someone desired to kill me.

A door opened on her side of the phone and suddenly she changed the way she was talking.

"Yes, how come your voice is lower? Are you sick?" I didn't respond.

My sister knew my voice. She had heard it for years. She was the only one I used it with.

Fuck.

"Yes, I'm sick." I raised my pitch.

What happened yesterday?

"Okay. Uhm, I wanted to call you because Benjamin's birthday preparations didn't go as planned. Other friends joined us. I joined them too, but they were too boring. I wanted to leave but they only talked." She laughed loudly.

No.

No. No. No.

I had to talk carefully. Whoever was holding my sister captive was definitely listening.

I chuckled, keeping the act going.

"Are you home? What time did you escape those party crashers?" My heart was racing, millions of thoughts wandering through my head.

Was it the Russians? Colombians? I doubted it. Italians? I would hope not.

Americans? They were the quietest of all these last few days.

Not one request for a kill. They used to be regulars. Now the Italians just have doubled in requests.

Stella's voice interrupted my wandering.

"Uh, they arrived at the same time I did. I didn't even have time to enter the party." Stella said and I could swear that I heard an annoyed sigh on her side of the phone.

I changed my laying position, and instead I sat on the bed, my back pressed against the headboard.

I laughed, acting like I bought what she said.

"By the way, do you want to meet today? I have absolutely nothing to do at the moment." I offered, curious about how she would react or how her kidnapper would respond to my request.

"No. Cut this bullshit. Give me the phone." A deep voice came from behind her.

"What? Let me talk to my sister! I have to assure her I'm fine!" My sister sobbed.

"Fucking let go of my sister." I tried not to use Clandestine's voice but I failed.

"Pay up. 3 billion." The voice lowered, trying to scare me. If only he knew. "Or I'm going to do to your sister things your little innocent mind isn't even able to imagine." He threatened me.