Chapter 32 - Double-cross

They had made love wildly, if you can call paying for it love, and when it was over the mattress was hanging half on the frame. They both sweated and she lay back fanning herself. "Boy, you shouldn't hold back so much." The room seemed brighter now, or perhaps their eyes grew more accustomed to the darkness, but the light from outside seemed more. The curtain was being sucked out the window. A car horn honked at the end of the block.

He leaned on his elbow and looked at her. Her chest was blushed and her face too. He ran his hand along her, feeling her body. She smiled and responded in and she sat up on top of him.

It seemed much later, and the night outside had quieted down. The traffic was asleep. Starlings chirped. Both were sleepy and drifting off. Presently, there were footsteps in the hallway. A squeak, and a slight rap on the door, and Ariel went to answer it.

"Wait," He said alarmed, "don't open that."

"Ariel stopped in the middle of the floor, "But it's only Max," she explained and unlocked the door. Harry sat up and braced himself hoping she was right, waiting for the person outside to enter. The door opened quickly, allowing the yellow light from the hall to break the darkness of the bedroom. It seemed bright after so much time in the dark. Max's broad grim head appeared, and he stepped inside.

He looked around the room taking inventory. "Who are you?" he demanded of Harry when their eyes met, unconcerned with his nakedness. "And how do you know Franz Hageen?" He stood in front of the door with his arms crossed. Harry had started dressing the moment Max came into the room and ignored his questions.

"Do you always barge in on customers like that?" Ariel handed him his shirt.

"She wouldn't have opened the door unless she was finished," Max said unapologetically. Harry picked up the lamp from the floor next to the bed and turned it on. Ariel was still naked and stood in front of the two of them as they faced each other off. Harry was tucking his shirt in, and he noticed for the first time just how beautiful she really was; tall, slender, and white as down. Her lips, her breasts, and her hair flowed over her shoulders. Max noticed she had shaved and clicked his tongue and said, "Ah, will you look at that?" Harry and Ariel both looked. "I told you not to shave your coot." Then he looked at Harry, "Americans. The Swiss hate it."

He looked at Harry and crossed his arms. "Well?"

"Frank and I are old friends," Harry said. He thought about telling Max what had happened earlier but was sure he'd find out sooner or later on his own. "We worked together in '68. Keep in touch on occasion."

"So these fellows are following you and you want to avoid them. Is that it?"

"That's about it," Harry said. "Look, I'd like to stay and chat but I have to be going. Is there another way out besides the front door?"

Max walked to the window and looked out. "One is still there. I've sent Jonas to find the other. Once I hear from him, we'll get you out of here."

"Thanks for your help, but I have two questions," Harry said. "One; why?"

"Any friend of Frank's is a friend of mine." He said and looked over at the girl. "Put some clothes on, will you?" he said in German. Ariel had been sitting on the bed with her head resting on the pillow playing with her nails and dutifully got up and began to dress.

"Now run along downstairs and help Ina clean up the place." She smiled at Harry and blew a sexy kiss to him. They watched her walk out the door, and Max smiled after her. He put his head in the hallway and closed the door.

"Not too many people in this town I don't know of. I also know the police well, but these two I haven't seen, ever. No one dresses like that anyway. I don't need trouble, so the sooner you are out of here, the better for us all."