Chapter 2

A week passed since I received the letter, nothing has happened. I want to relax... but I know I shouldn't... I can't let my guard down. I got ready for work when I heard a knock on my door. I slowly came to the door and peeked through the eye hole. I see the detective at the door. I sighed in relief and opened the door to let him in. "Thank god, it's you....""Yes, I assumed it would scare you to hear a knock on your door this early in the morning, but we need to discuss something and I didn't want to do it over the phone. We need to discuss a meeting place and times... if he is watching... we have to make these meeting... kind of randomly..." He says in a hurry. "I was thinking my friend's bar that is around the corner from my department.... I will have to disguise myself though... So if he is watching... he would not suspect me to be a detective..."I thought about what he said and it doesn't seem like a bad idea."Yeah, I like that idea...just depends on what days we meet..."

 "This Friday, I will give you a schedule ready by then." Jackson tells me. "I have to head to work now, but I had time to stop by and explain my plan to you." As he rushes out the door. I take a moment to write down on the calendar as a reminder about the meeting on Friday and then rush out the door to work.I arrived at work and got seated at my desk, I checked my boss's agenda to make sure to remind him of his meetings. My phone on my desk started ringing, I picked it up and on the other end of the phone. I hear a man with a deep voice, it sounded almost like he is forcing it to be deeper than it was. "I thought I said not to tell the police, or you won't see your son again.""I didn't tell the police, I promise." I answered as quietly and quickly as I could."Then who was that at your door this morning? I am pretty sure it was Detective Jackson, the one who worked on your husband's case." He hissed."He was just coming by to check on me as he does every year to check on me. He just couldn't yesterday due to work." I try to come up with the most convincing lie as I could. I started sweating and I see my boss glancing at me with a puzzled look on his face."Well alright, but if I find out you are lying to me. Oh well, let's leave that as a surprise... Contact you soon, my lovely Anna." He says in a freaky voice and hangs up.

My hands started shaking as I put my phone down. Next thing I know my boss is behind me asking me who that was. I tried to calm down my nerves before I could answer.I decided it was best not to hide anything from my boss, so I explained to him everything and he sighed. I gave him time to think before saying anything more. After a couple of minutes he asked "May I see the schedule of the planned meetings, so I can give you those days off?" I looked in shocked at his request. Then he continued. "I am glad you told the detective and me, this is serious and I know you been wanting justice for you, your husband, and your son. Your husband and I were best friends in high school, don't forget." I nodded and promised him I would give him the days of the meeting and discuss any changes that might happen.

I should start being careful about who I open up to about this, I could put their lives in danger if the man finds out about it. I am glad my boss wants to help out this much, but he has a family and it would be my fault if they get hurt...Later that night, I made it back to my apartment... in front of the door I found a box with my name on it....I quickly picked up the box and ran inside, I decided not to open it. Not until I meet with Jackson on Friday, just to be safe. "Who knows what might be in this box?" I said as I examined the box a bit. It's a thin, white box. "Well, too small to be a bomb..." I whisper to myself. "Also has a lid, and a black bow around it." I grow curious on what is inside, but I know it's best not to mess with it anymore. I put the box in my kitchen cabinet and go get ready for bed.The day of the meeting at the bar with Jackson, I dress casually and wore a black trench coat to make sneaking the box in easier. "Just for when, the killer is watching me..." I mumbled to myself and rush out the door.

An hour later, I made it to the bar to meet Jackson. He said he was going to disguise himself... wish he would have described what he was going to look like, I thought to myself. I started looking around the room, I decided to take a seat on the stool by the counter and waited. The bartender came up to me and asked me what I wanted. "I am waiting for someone, I just want some water for now." I said to him. He sighed and got me some water almost instantly. I waited about 15 minutes when this guy came up to me."Sorry, I had to make sure I wasn't recognizable." Jackson said to me in a hush voice. "May we move to the back of the room for more privacy?"I nodded and we started heading that way, when we got to a private spot, I started taking the box out. "This was in front of my door, I didn't mess with it yet." I handed it to him. He looked at it and examined it."Okay, let's look at what is inside." He opens it and his eyes opened wide. I looked at it and saw a rose and a knife with dried blood. There was a note on the lid that says, "This was the knife used to kill your husband, don't you recognize it?" I tried my best note to act out, I don't want anyone's attention on us."Well, I am going to take this with me and check for any finger prints...." He said while looking at the note.

"I should also talk with the owner of the apartments about looking at the video footage from the cameras..."I sighed quietly to myself, thinking about what the killer's first note, he wanted me to do as he asked. "Why hasn't he given me any demands yet?" I said, putting my glaze at Jackson. "His first note to follow his orders, he hasn't given me any, let's check the back of the note that is taped to the lid." I suggested.Jackson removed the note and flipped it over. Nothing. "Well, relax, he hasn't asked for anything yet, isn't that a good sign now?" Jackson happily said to me with a smile."I guess so, but also worries me, he does have my son after all..." I sighed again. "It's been 4 years since I held my son. He is all I have left after all."

"I understand." Jackson said taking my hand to try to comfort me. "But for now, let's relax and discuss ideas, we also need to keep you safe. If he is dropping stuff off at your door, we should try to be careful.""You're right." I agreed with him about that. "Have you got the dates for our meeting ready?""Why yes! Thank you for reminding me. Here" He hands me a mini calendar book. "Plans for the next 6 months.""Thank you, Jackson." As I take the book from him. We discussed safety plans and ways to communicate at desperate times.After the meeting, he drove me back to the apartments and walked me to my door. "Thank you for tonight, it was nice to get out of my apartment for once." I unlocked my door and went inside."You're welcome, call me if you need anything, good night Anna." He said and waits for me to close the door before he walked off."Wow, I can't believe I feel relaxed for once!" I thought to myself. "It's nice to be around someone who cares for once, even if it's for the case, either way, I should get ready for bed." I walked to the bathroom, to shower for bed.

I got into bed when I heard glass breaking from the living room, I freeze in place for a while. I was in shock from the fear I felt, I didn't know what to do. My mind is blank, after what seems to feel like forever, I finally gained movement of my body. I reach for the phone, I didn't want the intruder to hear me talking. So I sent a text to Jackson, and hid under my bed. I made sure my bed was still made, so I didn't leave a sign that I was home. I look at my phone again, to see if I got a message back. Nothing.