Sokovia Accords

It's been almost a year since I joined the Avengers as Shadow. I've made a pretty decent name for myself too in the eyes of the public. I've trained almost every day, been on a few missions with the team and have also completed two years of medical school in the last 10 months. I'll be starting my residency early - in August - at a reputable hospital nearby but right now it's May 29th, and I was jumping around my room to Taylor Swift's 22.

"I don't know about you but I'm feeling 22!" I sang as I danced around, picking out my outfit for dinner with my dad and Pepper tonight. "Everything will be alright if, you keep me next to you! You don't know about me but I bet you want too. Everything will be alright if, we just keeping like we're, 22!" I spun around, "Ah!"

I jumped at seeing Steve leaning against the doorjamb watching me and tripped over the edge of the rug and falling flat on my butt. I laid down on my floor and stared at my ceiling as I tried to calm down my heartbeat.

"Happy Birthday." Steve finally said after a moment of silence.

I sat back up, red in the face, "Uh, Thanks. Clearly dancing was not something I was gifted with." I said as I got to my feet. "Or singing, I guess."

"Then we can both be bad at it together." He joked.

"You grew up in the 40's. There is no way you don't know how to dance." I said incredulously.

"You forget that I didn't always look like this and girls never really jumped at the chance to dance with that scrawny asthmatic version of me."

"Oh, right... Sorry." I said, suddenly feeling awkward and needing a change of subject, "So what's up?"

"We have a lead on Rumlow and the team is going to Lagos. We take off in 30."

"Ah man! That means I can't go!" I groaned, "I have my last two exams tomorrow and the day after."

"You'll be on the next mission. Just concentrate on school right now and ace those tests. We'll be back before you know it." Steve consoled me.

"Yeah, alright. You better bring me back a super awesome birthday gift though." I said and gave him a hug, "Be safe and tell others I said to kick some ass, too."

"Will do. See you soon." Steve said as we broke our hug and then he left.

Over the last ten months, Steve and I have been closer than ever. He's definitely adopted me as his best friend, I don't care what Sam has to say on the matter. The only reason Steve won't flat out answer is because he doesn't want Sam to get his feelings hurt. That just makes him even more perfect.

I've been able to hold back on my true feelings, just like I said I would but it's been tough because these feelings have definitely grown. It doesn't help that Steve will sometimes say or do something that makes me think my feelings are reciprocated, at least a little.

The team has melded together quite seamlessly too. I tend to be used for more espionage purposes because of the unique ability my power gives me to get from one place to another without being seen. I've also managed to teach myself to get to shadows I can't even see, like the ones on the other side of locked doors. Although I do get to do all the fun stuff too.

I like working with Vision the most (but don't tell Uncle Rhodey). Because of our bizarre connection, we make a really good team. It actually makes some others a little jealous *Sam* cough, cough, *Sam*. I love Sam, I really do but we really love to razz each other at every opportunity. It's how we show our love and I quite like our dynamic.

Wanda and I haven't gotten as close as I would have liked. There seems to be something holding her back but I won't push it. We respect each other and that seems to be enough for now. I have faith that will change, eventually.