Bucky Barnes and the Black Panther

The flight to London was a quiet affair. I was still reeling from the disappointed looks and scathing remarks from my dad, and Steve was deep in thought about the life he could have had with Peggy. There was some idle conversation between us, like telling me how the rest of the meeting went before he got up and left. Sam also came with us to lend support to his friend, but didn't feel much like talking, either.

Steve also seemed somewhat curious about the date I bailed on to come to London with him. I'm not sure why he was even remotely curious about it, though. It was clear that if anything was ever to happen between Steve and I, it wouldn't be anytime soon. Especially since he now has to mourn Peggy for a second time.

We got in late last night and each checked into our own rooms to get some sleep. Once morning came, we got ready in our dark outfits. I was wearing a simple black fit and flare chiffon dress that stopped at the knees and had cap-sleeves. I kept my dark hair down and in its natural waves, how I typically like to wear it when not on a mission. A thin black petticoat to keep me a little warmer in the cooler London air. When I met Steve and Sam in the hall, they were dressed in appropriate black suits, both of them looking snazzy but somber given the event.

The funeral was nice and there were a lot of people were here to say goodbye to Peggy Carter - she was definitely loved by everyone who was lucky enough to know her. I heard stories about her from a few people through the grapevine about her years with SHIELD and what a legend she was, and I knew she was a person to aspire to be like, career-wise. The personal stories I heard from Steve also told me that she wasn't just great at her job but that she was an all around good human being too. Just the thought of her was intimidating, but I think if I knew her, I probably would have loved her too. Steve seems to think she would have loved me.

Steve was asked to be one of the pallbearers for Peggy's casket, and then when he was done, he came to join me and Sam in the pew as we listened to Peggy's eulogy by the priest. I grabbed Steve's hand and gripped it tightly, knowing he needed any support I could give him at the moment. I used my thumb to rub soothing circles on the back of his hand in comfort and he gripped my hand back, just as tightly, head bowed.

I felt his hand loosen when a blond woman came up to the podium to say a few words. Steve seemed to know her. She was beautiful and was introduced as Sharon Carter, so a clear relation to the late Peggy.

"Margaret Carter was known to most as a founder of SHIELD." She begins, making quick eye contact with Steve, "But I just knew her as Aunt Peggy. She had a photograph in her office. Aunt Peggy standing next to JFK. As a kid, that was pretty cool but it was a lot to live up to. Which is why I never told anyone we were related." She looked directly at Steve when she said that, as if that comment was solely for him. Steve nodded in understanding.

I didn't want to feel jealous. Steve wasn't mine, after all, but I was and it was because he had a history with this woman that seemed to capture his attention in a way I didn't think I ever could.

"I asked her once how she managed to master diplomacy and espionage, in a time when no one wanted to see a woman succeed at either. She said compromise where you can. But where you can't, don't." Sharons words seemed to fit our situation with the Sokovia Accords very well and I couldn't help but think Sharon wanted to remind Steve why it was he fought in the first place. In any case, it brought a moment of clarity. "Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right. Even if the whole world is telling you to move, it is your duty to plant yourself like a tree, look them in the eye and say 'No, you move.'."

Once the funeral was over, Sam got up to leave but Steve stayed seated. I told Sam to go on ahead and we would catch up. Once the church was empty, Steve stood to say goodbye to Peggy one last time, while I waited for him in the aisle. While I waited, I received a text from Nat, saying she was going to meet us here, so we waited.