Chapter 10

Thanksgiving and Christmas passed with no returning to school which means many make-up days ahead. Kassidy spent most of her time with the Kirkland's because her father was always so busy with the church. She did take note of Lisa being frantic when her father would come over and check in to make sure we were all okay though it seemed they were very close on some standards. Arianna told Kassidy that she did catch them sharing a kiss one evening after they fell asleep to a movie. To Arianna's surprise Kassidy took the information calmly and handled it with a bit of pride like she knew her father needed to be happy though Lisa is new to her.

"No harm, no foul right? Our parents can date, see each other, and do grown up things. It would make us future sisters." Kassidy explained out loud.

Arianna didn't feel that with Kassidy and they have built such a bond with their friendship, she wanted more. School starting after New Years, she was nervous to face the new students again not knowing who would be so against her hanging around a black girl all winter. Arianna knew conflict with her mom would begin if she heard her thoughts on calling Kassidy a black girl but she knew not to say anything out loud against Kassidy.

"That only keeps us at best friend stage though knowing neither of us have come out as the l word." Arianna said with sadness in her voice.

"It won't be that bad. Best friends have lived together all the time without any status." Kassidy replied with a small smile.

"So, we will need our own girlfriends then and not be around each other at all because honestly, I can't hide emotions since meeting you." Arianna felt her heart break knowing that Kassidy meant more to her then she realized.

"I can't date the same-sex, my dad wouldn't be happy about it and kick me out of his life. I have to be the good preacher's daughter and find a boy that will be my future husband." Kassidy replied, sounding frustrated.

Arianna knew that was Kassidy's secret of being into girls but with her father being the only preacher in this town it led her heart to ache more. They weren't even an item and Arianna's emotions were causing her to fall apart for her new friend that she met back in November. They have spent three holidays together with no turning back. They're parents have bonded so well that Arianna knew what could hold out in their future.

"Kassidy, how did you and Margaret get away with being together? I had to sneak around with Angela like claiming to be hanging out with Haylee so I could see Angela as much as possible without my mom knowing." Arianna asked and explained her own situation.

"I would see her at church and pass notes but after church we would plan to meet at the park or anything secluded before I had to be home for studying the bible or school work depending on if school was out or not. We also would see each other at school and would switch dorms to see one another and also shared classes at the time. She was my best kept secret in some ways. I am surprised she never told my dad anything about being with her but she agreed to keep us hidden." Kassidy explained then she looked at Arianna with a sparkle in her eyes.

Arianna knew it would cross a dangerous path of keeping each other a secret from their parents and they have only known each other three months which isn't long enough to call a true friendship quite yet. Arianna still saw that Kassidy's eyes sparkled with enjoyment that their was more to her life then being a future preacher.

"You look disappointed?" Kassidy asked with her own eyes, becoming sorrowful.

"Realization is that we haven't known each other long enough to pursue such a relationship. I am not sure if I am over Angela enough to move on. I loved her so much and we had a huge future together." Arianna explained with her tears wanting to burst from missing Angela.

"Arianna, how long was it before you moved here that you broke it off with Angela?" Kassidy asked with a bit of anger and jealousy.

"Mom, gave me a warning that same month. Angela didn't want us to break up because of distance but I couldn't keep us together and since we are still minors it would be impossible to go back to Michigan to be with her." Arianna replied through her tears coming down her face.

"Well, that is the past, let's move forward over these girls that were ours." Kassidy responded with confidence though you could see Arianna still broken hearted.

"Kassidy, you got over Margaret because you two weren't in love with one another. I fell for Angela and hard. I was with her for years from sixth grade to tenth grade. We were meant to be, we had a future together after High School. If this tells you, I haven't bothered with my cell phone since I got here because I don't want to hear from Angela moving on with someone else." Arianna replied, fighting her emotions.

Kassidy really wishes she could go home now because Arianna was all for them being together then now she has turned her heart over back to Angela. All she can hope is that Angela doesn't come for her. Kassidy began moving from the bed then started packing her overnight bag and headed back home. She wasn't dealing with mixed emotions from Arianna any longer, they have been in the same roof since November and it is now January, she really wished school would be back in session.

"Kassidy, don't leave, no! Don't leave me, I am sorry." Arianna pleaded with tears and held Kassidy's hands to stop her from packing.

"Arianna, you keep sending me mixed signals not that I am any better because of being a preacher's daughter. You miss Angela. I get it. I need to be home. Get back to me and my dad, I do miss him." Kassidy replied with her voice shaking.

"Look at me." Arianna whispered.

Kassidy lifted her head and looked at Arianna's deep dark blue eyes that mimicked her picture a few months back. Before she could speak Arianna took her lips and they shared a mutual kiss that left them both breathless.