The Death of the Boy in the Box

On Feb. 25, 1957, a body of an unidentified boy was found in a box in an illegal dumping ground near Philadelphia. The boy was estimated to be around four to six years old, weighed about 30 pounds, and stood around 3'3". He was found naked but wrapped in a blanket. His hair was recently cut and his body was recently washed clean. There were small scars on his chin, groin, and left ankle, some of which proved he went through a small medical procedure. He was found with blunt force trauma to the head that was determined to be the cause of death and there were no witnesses.

The body was found by a young man who was walking through the abandoned lot. Strangely, the man waited a whole day before contacting the police and even a second man had previously found the boy's body but had not contacted the police because he didn't want to get involved. With the cold weather and delayed phone call, police weren't able to accurately estimate the time of the boy's death.

In order to identify the boy, the body was kept in the morgue while visitors from 10 different states tried to look for identifiable marks to no avail. Police sent out 400,000 flyers of the boy to police stations, post offices, and courthouses all over the country. Even the American Medical Association sent out a description of the boy but it led nowhere. The police compared the boy's footprints to hospitals in the area and even took fingerprints but no records showed that the boy ever existed.

In 2016, the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children released a forensic facial reconstruction of the victim and added him into their database. Unfortunately, the boy has never been identified and the case still remains open.