018 - September 1, 1989

018

— september 1, 1989 —

THE SOUND OF GUNFIRE FILLED THE COLD AIR OF GOTHAM, SIRENS AND SHOUTING ACCOMPANYING IT. Hazel and the others raced through the streets, dodging past police and military patrolling the streets. They reached the street the men on the radio were speaking about, military grade police vehicles blocking both ends of the road, another car stuck in the middle, the police focussing their fire there.

They hid behind a building, looking out to the police barrier just ahead of them. Hazel looked around, counting the officers. "We could just burst through the front," Terran said with a shrug.

"Yeah, then the other side has time to notice and shoot us," Hazel said, turning to look at Terran, tilting her head to one side.

"I'd Hazel lead this one, Dick's been letting her lead," Gar spoke up, explaining quickly. Rachel looked at Hazel and smiled, nodding softly.

"Rachel you gonna take the centre, they'll try to run down the sides to get out, Gar you take one side, Cole, can you take the other?" Cole nodded softly and Hazel smiled. "Terran, you have to move these cars, get the road clear."

"What about the other side?" Terran asked, leaning closer to Rachel to peer over her shoulder.

"I'll take care of that," Hazel nodded. "I'll give you a signal, you'll know it."

Gar nodded and moved toward the right side. Terran squeezed Cole's shoulder before he ran towards the right side, ducking behind a car. Hazel nodded at Rachel before she ran off, weaving between the police cars.

Rachel and Terran stayed tucked behind the building until all the lights on the block suddenly went dark, at the click of Hazel's fingers. Rachel stood, her arms spread as her magic spread across the road, grabbing the soldiers and pulling them back into the darkness. The magic spread further, forming a barrier around Donna, Tim and his parents caught in the centre of it all.

Terran stepped forward, pulling from the sounds of Rachel's magic to push through the barrier of cars, crushing the frames and clearing the roads. Some men ran down the sides, but Gar simply had to roar, and the men collapsed, Cole just flicked his fingers, zapping a shock of electricity through the police officers knocking them unconscious.

At the other end of the road, Hazel had crumbled the cars beneath thick vines and shot her light through the soldiers, knocking them to the ground. Hazel turned back to the others, Rachel gave her a small nod and Hazel flicked her fingers the vines tugging the cars off the road. Hazel walked back to Rachel, waving her hand willing the lights to return.

She turned back to the group by the car and smiled at Donna, who looked just as happy. The green tiger walked out letting out a deep rumble as he walked towards Donna. She smiled and shook her head softly. "Why don't you get out of that fur suit and come say hi?" Donna hollered and Gar ran back.