Chapter 1: A squishy train ride

With a tug in her stomach and a jolt under her feet, Octavia apparated onto Platform 9 ¾. Immediately caught into the waves of bodies. Students and parents alike were in different fits of emotion, mostly tears and tight hugs. She felt queasy and very much alone with just a trunk at her side.

Taking stock of her surroundings, she found nothing especially ordinary except for the bright red train, awaiting its passengers. The smoke fogged up above everyone's heads.

She wore jeans and a tank top like the muggles did in their magazines. She was not quite prepared to put on the new uniform so unlike her old Beauxbatons one of silk. They were scratchy and not nearly as flattering but obviously that wasn't the point. They were different.

The anxiety hadn't abated from breakfast, a slice of toast and a sip of tea barely keeping her stomach from churning. Trunk levitating above her dark head she began to force her way through the swarm.

'Pardon me, Excuse me, Sorry about that, Sorry, Sorry, Sorry'.

She shimmied her way onto the blazing red train. And threw herself into the first open compartment she saw. She shoved her trunk into the overhead shelf and collapsed into the seat. The seats were aged but comfortable under a patterned maroon upholstery, their antique-like smell was strangely comforting and she breathed a sigh of relief, the first obstacle of her new journey complete.

From her window seat she watched. The tearful goodbyes tugged at her chest, especially those of the youngest students. She could see their fear, in their furrowed brows and tight little fists.

'Octavia!'

Octavia snapped her head away with a jump. Heart pounding, she pressed her hand to her chest. A woman with light hair and a bright smile had pushed her way into the compartment, a posse of people behind her.

The moment of fear immediately disappeared on recognition. In a mess of hair and fabric they embraced.

'Daphne!'

Octavia could have cried as she held her childhood friend close. The incessant anxiety wavering with familiarity. She pulled her back to look at her. Daphne's eyes were a clear blue, hooded with light eyelashes that held teardrops, tan skin lovely and warm. Her nose turned up the perfect amount, aristocratic and fairy like. She looked exactly the same, bar a long dark scar stretching from left ear across her throat. Octavia brushed it with her thumb, an almost motherly gesture. It made her look like an otherworldly creature, ethereal. He gaze raked over Daphne's face again, drinking her in. She kissed her cheeks and held her hand to drag her down onto the seat beside her. She couldn't imagine what Daphne thought while looking at her.

'Its been too long, ma moitie,' Octavia grasped Daphne's hands and they leaned into each other and breathed a collective sigh of relief.

'Get out of the way Death eater,' a sneer of disdain carried into the compartment and brought them away from each other and finally to the door where a mass of very awkward looking individuals stood. Octavia grew tense.

Daphne looked to Octavia for approval, a can they sit with us? question in her sparkling eyes. Octavia couldn't help but nod. Her grandmother always called her soft hearted, not generally as a compliment. Daphne shepherded them in. It was a squeeze to say the least.

All up there were nine people in their small compartment. As they shuffled in, they didn't say a word besides Daphne's directions for trunks and seating arrangements. Octavia just watched and scooted closer to the window to make room.

'It's a bit bloody tight, Daph!' groaned one of the many boys, Octavia noted the queasy feeling striking back with vengeance.

'Feel free to find another compartment, Theo,' Daphne spoke in a sickly-sweet chirp and Octavia covered her grin. There was no response. Everybody sat, especially close. Elbows stuck into ribs and the complaining started again. The four boys across from her sat comfortably and smug.