Chapter 16: Detention

Halfway through dinner that night, Octavia began to make her way back to the charm's classroom. The noise from the Great Hall swelled into the corridors and died as she made her way through the castle. The cold night air creeped under her uniform and she shivered with goosebumps. She rubbed at her arms, regretting leaving her sweater in the dorms.

Through the windows as she passed, she could see the dark forest and the faint lights of Hogsmeade in the distance. She walked quickly and quietly. Being along made her feel uneasy. The unsettling fear had eased over dinner, but now, alone in the corridor, it grew tenfold.

But she wasn't alone after all. She could hear the long strides of someone behind her and despite her better judgment she stopped and whirled around.

Mattheo Riddle.

Octavia sighed, relieved. Not at seeing him obviously, she wouldn't think anything like that. That would be ridiculous. She was relieved it wasn't the hooded figure again. Because the more she thought about it, the more she felt that it wasn't the first time she'd seen them lurking in shadowy corners. A looming dreadful character.

She knew it wouldn't be their last meeting either. That thought alone made her shudder.

'I've never seen you look so pleased to see me,' Mattheo drawled as he caught up with her. He kept pace with her frustrated form as she returned to her quick march to detention.

'I am not pleased to see you,' Octavia huffed. She crossed her hands over her chest but continued on her way. She could feel his satisfied smirk boring into the side of her face. He chuckled to himself.

'Now say it like you mean it,' Mattheo purred. Octavia scoffed. In her periphery she could see his hands deep in his pockets, the same casually aristocratic slouch of his shoulders and a wicked grin on his lips. Her gut curled.

Towards the end of the corridor, the small shape of their Charms Teacher bumbled along. A fresh relief filled her for a moment.

'Quickly, follow me,' Professor Flitwick waved them over hurriedly. When they were a few paces away from him he turned and marched in the opposite direction. Octavia couldn't help but raise her eyebrows at his retreating figure. She stole a glance at Mattheo. He gave her a rare smile. It transformed him. Her heart stuttered.

She followed Flitwick with a blurry vision and shaking hands. They caught up to him easily but he kept up a swift pace. They followed him back down two flights of stairs to land on the fourth-floor corridor, where the Professor slammed a door open with a flick of his wand.

'You two, will be attending to the trophy room,' Professor Flitwick squeaked. 'Without wands,' he added sternly, holding out his hand. They obliged carefully. Octavia nodding along, hiding a grimace. He swept them into the room, a simple wave illuminating the dark space in dim light. A pile of rags and potion bottles perched on the centre table. Miss Posey's Polishing Potion, was in abundance, a dark purple liquid held in varying shapes and amounts.

Octavia took stock of the room. It was small but every square inch of wall was fitted with plaques, cups, and trophies. Cabinets filled to the brim. Underneath layers of dust, gold glittered. Each item was long forgotten. It was a sad sight. It held a singular window behind stained glass. Octavia's shoulders sagged. How were they going to manage that, and with class tomorrow?

'The doors will open at 10pm, Mr Filch will check your work then. And if it isn't up to standard, you will spend tomorrow night in here as well,' he finished. He gave them a brisk nod and waved the doors shut as he strode out of the room. The click of the lock loud in the small room. Octavia imagined she looked much like a scolded puppy, head hanging. She felt defeated before they'd even began. She shook out her hands.