Chapter 3: Held At Wand Point

September 2nd was a Wednesday at Hogwarts so Octavia woke up early, the possibility of being late plaguing her. It was barely 4am when she threw herself out of bed to get ready. Casting a silencing charm on her feet and the bathroom she took her time gathering her things and turning on the water.

She washed her hair with her favourite citrus shampoo and scrubbed herself clean with a similarly scented scrub. She had used the same type of soap for years now, finding anything remotely different churned her stomach. She dried her hair and let it hang in soft waves down her back, its dark colour shiny in the faint light. She pulled her uniform on and brushed her face with the lightest amount of makeup before emerging. She grabbed her wand and one of her spell books 'A guide to Advanced Charms,' and made her way down to the common room.

With her sleepy walk through the night before she finally took a better look at the place. She padded down the stairs her silencing charm disappearing slowly. The fire was lit and warm, the comforting aroma filling the room. The green light of the lake was just beginning to make an appearance, its creatures going about their business unbeknownst to her gaze. She watched for a moment and listened to the bubble of water stirring. The warmth of the fire pulled her towards the lush chaises and highbacked occasional armchair.

But she wasn't alone.

Lain out on his back on the largest couch closest to the fire, was Mattheo. His chuck taylor clad feet slid off the end of the green lounge with his arm thrown over his face. He wore his uniform from the day before, his shirt rumpled and his tie loose around his neck. A small line of tan skin peeking out from between his shirt and trousers. She could see the slightest glimpse of jagged scars making their way up his abdomen.

A minute passed with her standing there watching him. Weighing her options. He'd obviously come back late after his talk with the Headmistress, and really it would do her no harm to be in the same room while he slept. The fire was so warm, she couldn't part with the faint licking sounds of the flame pulling at the wood for fuel. Octavia sucked in a breath, shrugged and settled for a velvety green chair to the side of the lounge. Her back to him she snuggled down into the chair her shoulder pressed into its back and feet curled up beneath her. She began to read, the sound of his slow breaths a soft murmur in the background.

*

*

*

At 6:30am the common room was still quiet when Mattheo started to twitch in his sleep. She could hear it, the slightest shift growing more erratic. A nightmare probably, but who didn't have those nowadays?

She closed her book and turned to watch him. His arm had moved away from his face, his eyebrows were creased. She watched his chest heave until a pitiful sound left his lips and she was on her feet and beside him. She knelt beside him a hand on his elbow. He began to thrash and she grabbed him and shook. For a split-second brown met green.

'Merlin, Fuck!' he gasped, his wand at her throat and hand clasped where her shoulder met her neck. She gasped and tried to pull away but he held her still. He was sitting up and eyes wild looming over her. Her heart pounded and she knew he felt it, thumb hard on her pulse point. Wand digging into her throat she squirmed. His breath came in sharp pants, hot on her face. His eyes cleared.

'How fucking dumb are you?' he spat fiercely. He shoved her away from him. She caught herself but crawled away from him quickly. Octavia coughed and held her throat protectively, eyes on the lush rug beneath her, him in her periphery. Mattheo's hands were in his hair, eyelids closed. Blood rushed in her ears and the fire crackled its dying breaths.

She got up stumbling. Grabbed her book and fled the room. She burst into the dorm and sat herself at the edge of her bed brushing her fingers gingerly over the bruise blooming on her throat.