Chapter 13: A Comfortable Room for a Small, Slytherin Gathering

Pansy and Octavia linked arms on their way to the Room of Requirement. The corridor was quiet but they held Charm's books in case they needed to feign going to Flitwick's office. Their steps echoing down the corridor they carefully looked around. Barnabas the Barmy was screeching at his portrait mates, correcting their ballet form. The trolls wore pink tutu's and grumbled at him. Pansy shushed him and Octavia snickered.

Octavia took a deep breath, a nervous hum in her chest. Together they paced back and forth three times in front of the empty wall.

A comfortable room for a small Slytherin gathering

A door formed like liquid in the stone. It was dark wooded just like any other Hogwarts entrance. Octavia grinned. With one last survey of the cold corridor, they let themselves in.

Inside, dark green drapes were swept back from faux windows that let in an almost natural light. Floor pillows were spread haphazardly. And a long table fit for eight gleamed silver in the middle of the room. A singular pendant light like a chandelier hung above it. Four of the seats at the table were taken already by Draco, Mattheo, Blaise, and Enzo. They were deep in conversation but cheery, unlike Octavia had ever seen them. A collection of the fine elf-made wine, fire whiskey and dragon barrel brandy laid out carefully with glasses to serve glinted in the sunshine-like light. It was quite a haul, thanks to Blaise.

The room warbled with an upbeat tune by the Weird Sisters.

The girls separated and Octavia pulled up a chair next to Enzo. He greeted her with a bright smile. Opposite her Blaise slouched and stopped Pansy sitting beside him, a moment of alarm crossing his usually cool expression.

'Better make room for the love birds to sit beside each other,' he warned, 'or they'll end up on the floor before we've had enough alcohol to cope with it.' A grimace of disgust flickered across Pansy's face, while Octavia laughed. As the week progressed Daphne and Theo began making no effort of acting coy despite always being in the company of their friends.

Pansy sat elegantly in the seat beside Octavia, with an evil grin as she reached for the fire whiskey. She began pouring shots for eight. She levitated them to each person but made them wait, despite the boys grumbling.

Theo and Daphne entered hand in hand. They scootched their chairs so their sides were touching and Blaise rolled his eyes dramatically as the others chuckled.

'I propose,' Pansy announced, on her feet with a shot glass in her hand, 'a shot, to begin our night.' Her smile was radiant and she downed the hot liquid with her usual refinement. Octavia followed but she grimaced as it hissed down her throat. She could feel it in her chest like a small fire had been lit.

Enzo snickered at her expression and teased poking her in the ribs. She rolled her eyes but grinned.

Octavia loosened her tie and bobbed along to the music. She poured herself a glass of the elf-made wine. It was blood red and stained the sides a faint pink. She swirled it carefully, watching it churn. Sure, she had spent a few summer nights drunk with school friends or Daphne, but this felt a little different. They didn't know her, what if she told them all her terrible secrets in one drunken breath. She was still so new to their group, it made her feel a little sad, a dull ache beating alongside her heart.

Suddenly, she felt embarrassed. Her stomach felt weighted. She brushed her hair out of her face, just to have something to do. She held the glass delicately at its stem, watching them interact like family. While she felt miles away.