𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍

Dovepaw sat at the edge of the medicine den

Dovepaw sat at the edge of the medicine den. Golden rays of sunlight shone down on the clearing of the camp, bright and clear. The snow was beginning to melt away, making way for new-leaf. She breathed in the scents of the sunny morning and the melting snow. The Clan was busy: The dawn patrols were just coming in, Flykit and Icekit were playing in the melting snow while Rosefeather watched them. Her eyes were still dark with grief for her mate, Sparrowfeather. She had been watching over them halftime ever since Tawnyflight died.

Paws fell and rose behind Dovepaw. She turned around. Badgertooth was approaching her. "Are you ready for some training? You know, even medicine cats need to learn self-defense."

"I know." Dovepaw stood up. "I'm coming."

Badgertooth left and disappeared in the shadows that led to the back clearing where he trained Dovepaw sometimes. Dovepaw followed his paw steps and emerged into the sunny clearing. "Ready."

Badgertooth's blue eyes sparkled in the sunlight. "Okay. Let's practice the belly rake. You are really perfecting it, but I think you can do better. Make sure your claws are sheathed. Remember: This is only training." He backed away a few tail-lengths. Without warning he leaped at Dovepaw, his paws outstretched.

Instinctively Dovepaw slashed downward at his head with a nimble paw. She felt a rush of pride as her blow hit Badgertooth squarely in the head. "I got it!" she exclaimed.

Badgertooth licked his ruffled chest fur. "Yes, you did. Great job."

Dovepaw's heart leaped. Next time I get into scrimmage with a MoonClan warrior, I'll be more prepared with one extra skill! "Can I surprise Mousepaw? She needs some cheering up."

Badgertooth purred. "Mousepaw needing help cheering up? You're joking." He flicked his tail-tip. "Go ahead. But then be back. We have more training to do."

Dovepaw rushed out of the clearing and darted towards where Mousepaw and Hollypaw were meowing quietly to each other, their heads low and close together. She tiptoed over to her and jumped on her back with a playful yowl. Mousepaw let out a yelp and rolled over, dispatching Dovepaw from her back. "I got you!" Dovepaw teased. "You need to practice more."

Mousepaw purred. "I bet I can beat you in a fair fight."

"That was a fair fight!" Dovepaw retorted.

Mousepaw shrugged carelessly. "That doesn't matter. I—"

"All cats old enough to catch their own prey come gather beneath the Snowrock!" Lynxstar was standing at the edge of the rock, the waterfall, now unfrozen, cascading into the pool that surrounded the rock.

Dovepaw glanced at Hollypaw and Mousepaw. They padded to where the Clan was gathering around the Snowrock.

When the Clan cats quieted down, Lynxstar continued. "Three apprentices have completed their apprentice assessment, and their mentors are satisfied with their skills. I would like to give Foxpaw, Hollypaw, and Gorsepaw their warrior names."