𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

The den was as silent as a bone-dry stream

The den was as silent as a bone-dry stream. Then Lynxstar began to bristle. "Another one of my cats has been lured in by those crow-food-eating monsters like it's nothing! It's not going to happen again, I assure you! And if it does, well . . . they'll see what happens," she hissed through gritted teeth.

     Frozenfang's eyes were wide. "It's not that easy!" she exclaimed. "I mean . . . MoonClan has been terrorizing your Clan for moons and moons to come. It won't be as easy as you think it is."

     Lynxstar shot her a sharp look that caused the dark gray she-cat to cower. "If you say so. But if MoonClan is going to go on with this nonsense and unnecessary murder, then someone has to do something!" she exclaimed.

     Frozenfang opened her mouth again but clearly thought better of it.

     Marching out of the den with the other three cats staring at her with shock, Lynxstar called some other cats to join her on a patrol. "Dawnsplash, Hollyfern, Owlheart, Acornshade! Come with me. We have a very important mission to complete."

     "Can't I come, too?" Frozenfang asked. Lynxstar sighed and nodded.

     I kind of want to go. I want to sink my claws into Snowtail's flesh one more time! She glanced at Badgertooth.

     His deep blue eyes sparkled. "You have your mother's spirit and your father's courage," he murmured, half to himself. "You can ask."

     Dovepaw jumped out of her nest and raced towards Lynxstar. "I'm coming."

     Dawnsplash purred. "I'm sorry, but I'm afraid you can't come. You were just attacked, first of all. Second, we need you here. Right, Lynxstar?"

     Lynxstar nodded.

     Dovepaw fought the urge to dig her claws into the ground. "Okay, fine."

     "Wait! Wait! I'll go." Mousepaw was racing towards them frantically. She glanced at Dovepaw. "Just so that I can tell Dovepaw how it went."

     "Thanks," Dovepaw mewed.

     Lynxstar purred. "You're so kind, Mousepaw. Of course, you can go." She flicked her tail towards Owlheart. "Wait! Another cat is coming."

***

     Mousepaw followed the rest of the patrol, her mind whirling. When she volunteered to go, she practically just blurted it out. There was no time. But now was no time to turn back. They were going to get a warrior back. This is for Dovepaw! she bravely told herself, puffing up her chest with pride.

     The sun shone brightly down on the path, illuminating the pollen that floated in the air. Some flowers were either blooming or were already past the blooming stage. Mousepaw breathed in the sweet fragrance of the blossoms and moved onward with the group.