Chapter 5

Francesca POV

I ran after Hugo with quick steps and tried to sort out my thoughts.
Oh my God! What had I done?
My heart was racing and I suddenly had a sinking feeling in my stomach.
Dizziness overcame me and I had to suppress the nausea that was coming.
I took a deep breath and tried to catch up with Hugo.
How was I supposed to forget this mistake when someone had already witnessed it?
There was no way he was going to tell Rico!
Tears welled up in my eyes and I bit my lip to stop myself from bursting into tears.
With the pain now focussed on my lips, it made me briefly forget the dull feeling in my stomach.
"Ehm, Hugo. Wait a minute, please!" I stopped him by the shoulder and he looked down at me.
"What you've just seen. Can we please not make a big deal out of it and forget about it?" I begged him.
Hugo took harassment very seriously and I didn't quite know how he categorised it. After all, he knew I was taken.
Hugo raised an eyebrow grumpily.
"Francesca," Hugo warned me. Knowing that I was asking him to lie to his boss for me. Hugo was very loyal to Rico. They were long-time acquaintances.
"Please. Rico doesn't need to know about this. It was a one-off, really," I tried to convince him and smiled slightly.
Rico wasn't Carlo's biggest fan, but he was a great believer in honesty and loyalty. I couldn't risk ruining our friendship because I was out of my mind for a moment. I didn't even try to imagine how Rico would react. Besides, I didn't even know how I wanted to deal with it myself. I would have to tell Carlo in particular.

"Only once. But you owe me a drink next time," Hugo replied grumpily and I threw myself into his arms with joy. I could still manage a drink for Hugos silence.
"Thank you!" I said, relieved.
Without another word, Hugo took me to Rico, who was standing next to the stage and smiling at us.

"Chica. Can I have your attention today? Everyone here seems to wish you a happy birthday before me. I can't take this anymore. Where have you been all this time anyway?" Rico showed mock indignation and I grinned at him. I didn't bother to clear up his misinterpretation of Hugo's and my hug.
I glanced quickly at Hugo, but his lips were sealed tightly.

"It's your own fault! You threw me to the mob. I invited the nice man round for a drink as a thank you. We must have had a chat and forgot the time," I lied and slapped Rico on the arm in an angry manner. It was now past midnight. I was now officially in my 30s.
Rico raised his arms in his defence, grinning stupidly, before shouting over the music: "Happy birthday Guapa!" He wrapped his arms around me and gave me a big kiss on the cheek.

Returning the hug, I smiled shyly and looked at Hugo again. He nodded again briefly before turning on his heel and turning his back on us. Breathing out heavily, but thankful that Hugo hadn't said anything, I watched Rico walk to the stage. Meanwhile, he was rummaging through something from behind the stage.
"I actually wanted to give you a dildo, but I didn't know what you had at home or not. So here's a little something now."

I laughed out loud. Typical Rico. Gifts like that could only come from him.
He had a gift basket full of sweets in the shape of a penis, jelly babies, lollies and chocolate. Similar to what was often required at a Bachlor Party and a bottle of sparkling wine, all very nicely wrapped.

"Thank you!" I gratefully accepted the basket and was really pleased with this little gift. Gifts weren't that important to me, it was the gesture that counted.
"That's not all," he continued, surprising me.
I hadn't expected another present. We didn't give each other big presents anyway, we were really out of that age now.

"I'm flying to Havana next month and you're going with me. Think of it as a gift and a bachlor party weekend in advance, even if you don't have a wedding date yet. I'm looking for some dancers and there's a big dance party there next month. I know the club owner in a roundabout way. Somehow my parents, his parents, whatever. We'll look at these hot men so you can stare at a few other guys before it's forever and always."