Chapter 8

Francesca POV

The week went by terribly quickly.
On Monday, after we had returned the memory card to Russel, Manuel and I had a quick drink in a small café.

I had then officially offered him the "you" after I had already called him by his first name several times.
He had told me a bit about himself, how he had come to the agency in the first place and that his brother was a policeman. I had a hunch that Rico's mysterious man might be Manuel's brother. I would ask Rico about it when I got the chance. We hadn't discussed Saturday night any further and instead made fun of the lecturers we knew from our studies together.
I was relieved that Manuel handled everything so easily and didn't constantly hold it against me.
I liked the atmosphere between us. It was pleasant. As if we were flirting acquaintances, but somehow we weren't.
So it was all quite harmless.

On Monday evening, I went home feeling better and had been able to look Carlo in the eye.
Manuel had given me the feeling that it wasn't a big deal and so I was able to spend a nice evening with my fiancé after he came through the door with a huge cuddly toy and wished me a „happy birthday".
For a brief moment, everything was fine again, even better.

But the mood changed when Carlo told me on Wednesday that he had to go away again for the rest of the week.
I was boiling with anger and could no longer understand these spontaneous business trips. It was as if he had only come back briefly to ease his guilty conscience.

At first I thought about cancelling Manuel and staying at home, but once I had the option of staying at home alone again, I discarded this idea and was actually looking forward to tonight.

At work, Manuel and I tended to avoid each other. This was because I tended to talk to potential new customers and Manuel got to know all the departments.
My boss Sophie and owner had already asked for feedback and I made no secret of the fact that I liked him and that he did a good job. Maybe she would offer him a job after he graduated. I thought it was very likely if he would keep up his good work.

I stood nervously in front of my wardrobe for a moment as I thought about what to wear.
By now I was going out less often and was no longer used to going out on a Friday night, especially when I didn't know exactly where I was going.
I decided on something sporty. A pair of skinny jeans with a white shirt and trainers and a leather jacket. It was the perfect mix of casual and smart.
I left my hair loose and put on a light coat of red lipstick.

In my free time, the red lips were somehow my trademark. It contrasted with my dark hair and eyes. After a quick satisfied look in the mirror, I left the flat and took a taxi to the address Manuel had texted me earlier.

////////////////////////////////

Manuel and I were standing in an inconspicuous side street. Behind him was the entrance to what I assumed was a music bar. The "El Canto" sign illuminated the entrance with neon lights.

"And do you recognise me? How do I look?" Manuel asked me, turning round in front of me.
I looked at his black shirt, denim jeans and leather jacket. It reminded me of the outfit from last Saturday. The only thing missing was the mask.
Raising one eyebrow sceptically, I countered, "Am I your style consultant? You just want to hear a compliment."

I was sure he knew exactly how attractive he looked.
His cheeky grin and the look on his face told me that he knew exactly how attractive he was.
I would have loved to smack that grin off his face or at least not grin stupidly back at him.
I didn't want to smile too. Stay serious and tough.
His grin frustrated me.
It frustrated me what it triggered in me.
The cosy warmth that spread through my body when he smiled at me.
I was so fascinated by him that I couldn't help it. I nodded in agreement with a grin and followed him into the shop.
The name Mr Sunshine really suited him.
How could you walk through the world smiling and happy all the time?