Chapter 5: A new friendship begins

Helix and Jihei (now called Louie): the two fugitive Octolings who escaped from Octo-Valley thanks to Agent 8 were now walking through the Splatlands Desert in order to go to Splatsvile and thus be safe from being hunted by the Octolings after having abandoned Octo-Valley The only belonging Louie brought with him from his life as an Octarian was the audio player he used to play relaxing music after each day (as it was his only fond memory of the first few years of his life).

However, the burning sun was boiling both Octolings alive, their reserves of ink and fluids were slowly turning into steam, cooking them alive. They took off their shirts and covered their heads with them to avoid heat stroke, but apparently it wasn't enough, it was just to make them gain a few more seconds of life.

However, Helix started to lag behind, he started to fall behind because he was closer to falling into heat stroke than Louie.

-I... Louie... I can... I can't... I can't stand... the sun anymore...- Helix said panting.

-Wait... Just... Just a few... kilometers away... and we'll get there- Louie responded.

-No... I can't... I can't... I... I can't...- Helix said again as he suffocated more and more.

- JUST... WAIT... WE'RE... SO CLOSE TO THERE... HOLD ON!! - Louie said.

But suddenly Helix felt on the edge of collapse because his internal organs began to fail due to lack of fluids, it wouldn't take long before the sun leave him completely roasted.

- NO!! HELIX!! YOU HAVE TO... RESIST JUST A FEW MORE MINUTES...- said Louie

Louie yelled as he tried to pick him up and carry him on his shoulders and back.

- No... Louie... let me... save yourself... If you carry me you will also run out of strength and end  just like me... - Helix said, already on his last legs.

- NO! NO! I'M NOT GOING TO LEAVE YOU HERE!! JUST TRY TO GET UP!!- Louie yelled.

Louie made vain efforts to help Helix up, but Helix was already collapsed and dehydrated.

- NO!! NO!!! HELIX NO!!!-.

- Louie... save yourself... save yourself please... just save yourself... -.

At that moment...Helix expired...dying and being buried in the sand by the sandy winds...with his skin covered in multiple severe sunburns. Some even left important tissues exposed, causing him an agonizing death.

- NOOO!!!! NOOOOO!!! AAAHHHHHH!!!-.

Louie wanted to yelled and in that moment of helplessness he grew tentacles (Remember that if he gets too angry he can release Chikkaikrakku and turn into a destructive beast) but he didn't want to do that around his remaining Octoling friend.

- Helix... I... want... to die with you... I will die with you.

Louie simply laid down in the sand next to Helix's dead body to die with him

Louie just closed his eyes because his few strengths had gone... but... while he was unconscious, Chikkaikrakku took out a tentacle from Louie's body to drag him to a nearby shadow (he's not going to let Louie die that easily because also remember that if Louie dies then Chikkaikrakku also dies).

HOURS LATER

Louie woke up in a shadow with multiple sunburns on his skin but a little milder. He was still in the desert but a large palm tree gave him some shadow.

He wondered what happened and how he got to that place. Especially where he was now. Since Helix's dead body is no longer with him. He quickly deduced that he was alive thanks to Chikkaikrakku.