7

An air thick with shock hung heavy in the salty breeze. The pups stared, their playful facade shattered. Marshall, the playful Dalmatian, the clumsy but courageous member of their team, was... different. Emerald scales, shimmering like jewels in the morning sun, covered his upper body, peeking out from beneath the remains of his oversized pup-pack. The girl he shielded whimpered, tears welling up in her eyes.

Marshall lowered her gently to the sand, his gaze flitting between his stunned teammates and the growing crowd of curious onlookers. Shame burned hot in his chest. This was it. His secret was out.

Ryder, ever the leader, recovered first. "Marshall, are you alright?" he asked, his voice laced with concern.

Marshall opened his mouth to speak, but no words came out. He felt exposed, vulnerable.  A choked sob escaped him, tears blurring his vision.

Chase, the stoic German Shepherd, nudged Marshall with his nose, his usual stern gaze replaced by a mix of concern and confusion. "Marshall? What is this?"

Suddenly, a whimper tore through the silence. Rubble, the ever-enthusiastic Bulldog pup, cowered behind Zuma, his eyes wide with terror. "M-monster!" he whimpered, pointing a trembling paw at Marshall.

Hurt lanced through Marshall. Rubble, his best friend, the pup who always saw the good in everything, was scared of him? He looked at the other pups, their expressions a mix of shock, confusion, and a flicker of fear that mirrored Rubble's.

Skye, ever the mediator, stepped forward. "Rubble, it's still Marshall," she said gently, nudging him closer to their friend.

But Rubble wouldn't budge, his tail tucked between his legs. Marshall felt a pang of loneliness settle in his stomach. He was a monster, not just in his own eyes, but in theirs too.

Ryder, taking charge of the situation, called for backup. They needed medical attention for Marshall and help evacuating the beach before the remaining rocks crumbled. As Marshall followed Ryder away from the crowd, he stole a glance back at his team. Skye stood beside a whimpering Rubble, Chase's usually stoic expression unreadable, Zuma silent and wide-eyed.

A wave of despair washed over him. He wasn't just facing the unknown anymore; he was facing it alone. He was a freak, an anomaly, and the weight of his transformation felt heavier than any fallen rock he'd ever lifted.

Later, at the Lookout, Marshall lay in his pup house, the medical scans inconclusive. The scales, apparently, were harmless, a strange mutation with no explanation. But the fear in their eyes, especially Rubble's, gnawed at him. Was their friendship strong enough to weather this storm? Was he still a member of the Paw Patrol?

As the sun dipped below the horizon, casting long shadows across the room, a soft whimper startled him. He peeked out from his pup house to see Everest standing outside, her blue eyes filled with concern.

"Marshall?" she called softly. "Can I come in?"

Relief washed over him. Maybe, just maybe, he wasn't entirely alone.