Chapter 2

Massimo POV

I am sitting here in the hospital trying to wrap my head around everything that has happened in the past 24 hours.

This morning I was sitting in my office stuck with a load of paperwork. This week, hell this year has been never ending stress. Being the most powerful mafia leader has it's downsides. I'm trying to keep my family safe, but I barely even see them. I feel like I don't even know what's going on with them anymore.

A few years ago I threatened to kill my father and he fled. My brothers have no idea about this. I always had my suspicions of him, but the others loved him so much I ignored it. Years ago, he sent my sister to an orphanage without telling us because he claimed we were receiving threats about her. I always had my suspicions that wasn't true. He was never as close with her as she was the boys. When I got more involved in the business, I looked for some trace of those threats, going we could get her back once day. I think I'm the only one who remembers her honestly. I confronted my father about it and he came clean that he felt she was just a burden to him. I threatened him to leave or I'll kill him. He left and the others think he is hiding due to outside threats from other mafias after some sketchy deals.

I started looking for Zeta, but I haven't found anything yet. I've kept the others out of this as I am not sure how they'd react.

Xander hates change so much that I'm sure he'd rather she just stay away. Enzo cares, but he is so emotionally distant from everyone that I don't think he'd be involved with her at all. Gianni was never close with her after our mom died giving birth to Zeta. He was too young to understand why his mom wasn't coming back. Matteo and Dante would be the most accepting, but still might be very distant and awkward with a new person.

As I sit here  thinking about Zeta and our brothers, my phone starts to ring. With a deep sigh I answer, unaware that my thoughts are going to become a reality.

I am shocked when I hear the person on the other side of the call is a social worker informing me the Zeta was in an accident where she was the only survivor. She will need a new home and of course I accept. My poor sister is injured, alone, and having to grieve her parents and friend. As I hang up, I immediately call my men to get my plane ready and then call the boys to inform them.

Now we are all in my office as I inform my brothers of my sister's return. As expected, Matteo and Dante don't have much of a reaction. Xander storms off, where to I don't know. Gianni has an annoyed look followed by saying "Why would you bring her here? Dad was right to give her away." Before I could scold him he was also out of the room. Lastly was Enzo. He kept his face emotionless. He only inquired, "Will she be safe here?" Like I said before, he cares he just doesn't show it too much. I assure him that her safety is my top priority and ask him to come with me to get her. I ask the twins to get her room ready which they agree to do.

Within an hour we are boarding our plane to South Carolina. This is the first time I've felt nervous in years. Zeta and I were always close. I hope I am able to bond with her again, but with so much work I know it'll be hard. I trust that the boys will be there for her, even if it does take some warming up.

We get to the hospital and head towards her room. I see the door open and sitting on the bed is a girl who definitely resembles me. She has a few cuts and bruises, I assume from the crash, and a cast on her wrist. Her social worker has already informed me of her condition, and it is a miracle that she's only had minor injuries. She holds a look of sadness that I hope is only do toe her grief.

She looks up as I walk in the room and we make eye contact.

I go to introduce myself, but she cuts me off. She remembers me. A big weight comes off my shoulders. Hopefully she remembers how much I love her. She doesn't seem to remember Enzo much. She was young and she does have a concussion right now.

The room is tense. I ate that we feel like strangers. Although I must admit that it isn't much different than when I'm around my brothers recently. We all love each other, but we have all become distant. The twins stay together and Xander and Gianni work out together here and there, but that's about it when it comes to family bonding.

The nurse comes in to give Zeta another dose of medicine. Zeta soon drifts off to sleep. It looks like she needs it. I watch as she lays there peacefully knowing it is a calm before a storm of emotions. Between losing her adopted family and having to reconnect with her bio one, she must be exhausted emotionally and physically.

An hour or so later the doctor informs us that she is free to go once she wakes. Less than an hour later she is up and the nurse is taking out her I.V. we load up into our car and I ask Zeta for her address so we can go get her stuff.

We pull up to a nice middle class home which makes me happy as it appears she has been living a good life without us. I feared the worst with the orphanage and foster care. I'm glad she was adopted by a nice family. The entire ride here was silent. Zeta does not seem ready to talk. As we go inside, Zeta goes upstairs to pack while Enzo and I look around downstairs. I offered to help her but she declined. Soon we will be back in New York. I just hope everything goes as smooth as possible, especially with how Xander and Gianni reacted.