Chapter 21

Zeta POV

I woke up hearing whispers around me. Immediately, my heart rate picks up. Was that a camera flash? I tense into my pillow. Who is here? Why are they watching me sleep? I feel like I'm suffocating. Lind, my pillow was holding just as tight. The hell? Now I'm on the verge of a full blown panic attack. Then the pillow speaks. Enzo.

"Shhh. It's just our brothers being idiots. You're safe. You're okay. I'm here. I'll protect you. Listen to my heartbeat and slow your breathing" he says and then kisses the top of my head. I'm safe. I do as he says and manage to calm myself down.

I finally look up to see that my brothers aren't there anymore. "I told them to leave. They didn't mean to scare you. You okay?"

"I am now." I say quietly.

"Good. I'm going to go downstairs. Get ready.  Matteo is basically bouncing off the walls for your day with him. Glad you're okay shorty" he says as he ruffles my hair.

I give him a fake glare and he chuckles as he starts to walk out of the room. Enzo. Chuckled. He is just full of surprises.

"Hey Enzo" I say, stopping him as he leaves my room. "Yeah?" He replies. "Thank you. For last night and this morning.". He leaves with a nod and what I think is a slight smile.

Enzo gave me something I haven't felt in years. Safety. It's been so long since I've felt fully safe. Even with my adoptive family I never truly got over the constant fear. But, with Enzo, I felt the safety I've been missing.

Thinking about it, all my brothers have brought me something. Enzo is safety. Date is relaxing. Matteo is comforting. Massimo is  caring. Xander is fun. And Gianni, well I avoid him, but maybe he'll be added to the list eventually.

I shower and decide to get dressed in my signature leggings and converse finished with a plain yellow T-shirt. I leave my hair down and make my way downstairs.

Matteo has an omelet waiting for me. He hugs me as I come down to make some coffee. "Sorry we scared you this morning" he whispers so nobody else makes a big deal out of it. I appreciate the apology and how it was delivered. Matteo tends to be more understanding than the others.

I sit down and eat. My appetite is almost back to normal. I still eat smaller portions, but definitely better than they were. I compliment Matteo in his food and he just thinks back. After breakfast, they all say goodbye except for Gianni, who is nowhere to be found.

We get into the car and Matteo starts driving. "Excited for today?" He asks. "Depends what we are doing" I reply cheekily, trying to get today's plans out of him. "Not telling."

Soon we turn up the music and are singing our lungs out to random songs. We are laughing and having fun when the car stops and I realize we've reached out destination.
I look up and see a barn and stables. "Horses?" I ask.

"Yeah. Do you still like them? We were supposed to take you on your fourth birthday. You wanted riding lessons so bad. We never got to and I've always felt bad about it. I thought we could try and make up for it a little today" he explained.

I've always wanted to. I was obsessed with it before I left, but honestly haven't thought about it in years. I can't believe he remembered all that.

With a smile I replied, "Yeah, this is a good surprise. I never got to go." We walked up to the stables and checked in. Matteo password for a private your so it is is just us and a your guide who is pretty far ahead of us. Matteo is on a brown horse named Chestnut while I'm on a black horse named Eloise. My adoptive mom's name. I feel like that's a sign. A sign that she's here with me even when I'm missing her always.

We ride for a while, sometimes galloping for some thrill. We were mostly on grass but also crossed a few streams, but now I am so sore as we ride back, clearly not used to this.

When we get back of the horses, we take a t poo ur through the barn, in looking at all the animals. We fed some goats and pet a few cows. It was really fun. When we were done with that I started heading back to the car. Matteo stopped me about halfway there: "Wait! I have one more surprise!" He used his hands to cover my eyes and lied me to who knows where.

"Open" he says and I see a pen with a pile of Great Pyrenees puppies. They're soooooo cute! I instantly run to them and start playing with all of them.

My jaw drops when Matteo says "pick one." "Really?!?" I exclaim. "Yes, really. I know you always wanted one and we were waiting till you were older. Today is all about making up for what we didn't get to do in the past" he explains. I'm overjoyed and overwhelmed trying to pick which puppy I'd like. Then a smaller one with black ear tips and a brown spot on its back started pulling at my sleeve and I knew he was the one. I picked him up and brought him over to where Matteo was standing.

"Have you picked a name?" He asked me.

"I think I'll call him Boone. I love him so much already. Thank you so much Teo!" I say while giving him a huge hug with Boone snuggled in between us.

Two took us to the store to get everything we will need for a puppy before we made it way home, Boone sleeping in my lap.

We walked inside to all my brothers about to eat dinner. "What is that?" Massimo asks.

"This is my new puppy, Boone. Matteo got him for me. Isn't he cute?"

Massimo grimaced while the rest of my brothers looked amused, even Gianni. "He's something. Go get washed for dinner and then come eat" he commands.

I practically skip to my room, still so full of happiness with my new furry friend.

Massimo POV

Now that Zeta is upstairs, I tune and glare at Matteo. "You didn't think to ask if you could bring a dog in my house?" I asked.

"I kinda figured I'd ask for forgiveness rather than permission this one time" he said with a nervous laugh. "We always told her we'd get her one before she left us. I just figured it was time" he continued.

My look doesn't falter. "Uh huh. You're lucky I'd do anything to see her that happy or you'd be dead. Still, you're washing my car as punishment" I tell him.

"Totally worth it," he says. "I had to compete with your elephant encounter somehow."

At this, I smirk. They were all jealous of how happy and excited my day made her. I knew they'd all try to do better, well except Enzo and Gianni. Enzo because he doesn't need the attention and Gianni because he's still being a douche.

Zeta returns with her devil puppy. She puts him at her feet and we all eat dinner and ask her about her day.

Ideally, we wouldn't have a dog, but this family dinner is one of the best we've ever had. I'm so glad Z is back.