Chapter 24

Zeta POV

Last night's dinner was fine. Honestly, I blocked most of it out. The twins were talking to me about my beach day with Xander, but I was mostly tuning them out. Beckett's family seemed.. off. He himself is very intimidating, but doesn't seem to have a bad vibe. His family seems like bad people. Just the feeling I get. Honestly, his dad reminded me of some of my foster fathers.

Currently, I'm awake at who knows what hour. It's still dark. I've been up for hours. Dante sat with me till I slept, but that wasn't long. I had many nightmares tonight. A few of me getting beaten that I just couldn't wake up from. It was horrible to relive. My scars are on fire. But the worst one was relieving the crash again. This time it was longer. I knew it was coming, but I couldn't speak to warm them. I had to watch them for again. I woke up sobbing, the last thing I remember was crying asking Akira to wake up.

Of course, Enzo has to leave after dinner for a business trip, so no one's coming to check on me. Perfect timing. Note the sarcasm. I could really use someone right now, but my heart and mind are racing to much to try and find someone.

Akira would be 17 today. She should be here living out her dreams. She should be here so I can talk to her about everything going on. She should be here living her life. Instead, I'm here missing her and she is gone.

I cried a lot of the day yesterday. I really miss her. I know I need to go honor her today. I plan on asking one of my brothers to drop me off at our favorite cafe. I'll order her favorite drink and just remember all the good times we had together.

I see the sun come up and decide I need to get myself together. I take an incredibly long shower, get dressed, and dry my hair. I feel like a zombie but at least I look presentable. I go downstairs noticing it's eerily quiet. Ugh. I really need someone to drive me.

Massimo and Beckett are in the kitchen. Enzo is gone. I have no idea about the rest of my brothers. Massimo notices me and says good morning while Beckett just avoid contact with me. "come eat" Massimo says.

Well it's now it never. "Actually I was wondering if you or someone can take me into the city to my favorite cafe?"

"I didn't think so, sorry Z. I have to fly to meet Enzo, Dante and Xander are on a mission, Gianni is out with friends, and Matteo is studying at the library." He says. Oh no. "Can one of the guards drive me then? It's really important." I ask. "Sorry bambina, I didn't trust them with you. I've of your brothers can take you tomorrow."

Tomorrow won't work. I have to celebrate today. Tears find their way to my eyes. "Please Massimo. It's really important. There has to be someone who can take me" I plead desperately. I'm on the verge of a panic attack. "Hey Z, take a deep breath. I'm sorry we can't take you today. I promise it'll be --"
I down him out. One year starts rolling down my cheek. He doesn't understand. He didn't even ask why.

"I can take you, if that's okay with you, Mass?" Beckett asks. I calm my breathing ever so slightly. Getting in a car for a long drive with the scary mafia boss wasn't on my list of things to do today, but I'll do it if I get to celebrate Akira on her day.

I calm my breathing slightly and look up with Massimo with pleading eyes. I needed him to say yes. He looks conflicted. He seems to be silently communicating with Beckett. Eventually, he nods so slightly I almost don't see it. "If you're okay with Beckett taking you, then you can go" he says and I almost don't believe my ears. I throw myself at him, tears silently flowing down. "Thank you! I promise it's really important."

He hugged me back, before telling me that I had to go and to make sure that I stay safe and listen to Beckett.

I excuse myself to go clean my now tear stained face. When I return from the bathroom, Beckett is waiting by the front door. He tilts his head, signaling me to follow him. We get into a car that probably costs more than all the houses I lived in growing up combined.

"Where to?" He chokes out. Still silent I see.

"Bumblebee Cafe. It's near Central Park" I tell him.

He puts the directions on the car screen and we are driving silently. It takes about an hour to get there, maybe more with traffic. This is going to be one awkward ride.

I see him glance at me at the corner of my eye. Something about me is I can't stand silence. Even in a comfortable silence, I can't take it too long. So even though I'm with Mr. Doesn't speak much, Im going to try to have a conversation.

"Thank you for taking me. It was really important to me to go today. It is really appreciated."

He just nodded. No words. Nothing. "Youre going to do drive this long without taking at all? I'll crack you eventually. I'm not doing silence this long!" I don't know what has me feeling this bold to such an intimidating man. I'm going to blame the lack of sleep.

He smirks and shrugs. This guy. "Why don't you talk a lot?" I ask. Another shrug. "Not much to say and people didn't listen most times anyway. People are usually too afraid to talk to me, guess you're braver than I thought you'd be" he speaks surprisingly.

"Fair enough. Don't get me wrong, you're very intimidating. But I hate silence and I'm too tired to think through consequences. Why did you agree to take me today? It's pretty out of the way." I've been wondering that since he offered.

"You seemed desperate. Plus, between the fact you look like a zombie that didn't get a minute of sleep and the crying, I figured this was a lot more than a coffee shop trip. I had time and I like to drive" he reveals. Hmm. It's weird that my brother didn't realize this, but a complete stranger did. I just nod in response.

I get lost in my thoughts when I hear, "Who's the quiet one now?"

"Sorry, I'm just not used to someone noticing or caring. Well, maybe Enzo would've. He's observant. But the rest of them are clueless sometimes." I love my brothers and I know they care, but sometimes it's exhausting having to always having to tell them I need help instead of someone actually noticing.

"So, why this cafe?" He asks, curiously.

"Me and my best friend used to come here all of the time. It's her birthday" I tell. 

"Is she meeting you here?" He asked.

"She's dead. She died in the car accident that killed my adoptive parents. I needed to come here today so I could celebrate her." Tears welled in my eyes. I looked out the window and saw we are almost there. I guess he was driving faster than I realized.