Chapter 5: Trials of Valor: Courage, Friendship, and Sacrifice

"Morning, Hector, let's get up...," I heard Hector faintly waking me up with his gentle voice, slightly shaking my body."Morning," I responded, my voice sounding faint as half of my soul still lingered in the realm of dreams. However, slowly but surely, awareness started to seep in as I felt the morning warmth embracing my body, accompanied by the dazzling sunlight piercing through the darkness.

Though my eyes were still reluctant to open, I began to respond by stretching and acknowledging the fact that morning had arrived.

Ah, my sleep was so brief, and my body still felt the fatigue that had overtaken it. Yet, suddenly, memories of Val abruptly resurfaced, disrupting the tranquility of my morning."Val," I suddenly exclaimed, remembering her, "... we have to visit Val."

Orion nodded, understanding my concern, then said, "I took the time earlier to check her barracks, and she hasn't returned yet. Perhaps she's still at the infirmary tent; let's wash up and go see her."I nodded in agreement, and together with Orion, I headed towards a nearby pond. We quickly washed our faces and bodies, donned our armor again, and descended from the hill with a sense of urgency.

As we reached the foot of the hill, imagine our surprise when we found Val's tent from last night had been dismantled, leaving only Hyperion's tent, still standing tall and unoccupied.Orion and I hurried towards one of the nurses, then urgently asked, "Excuse me, where is our friend who was here yesterday?"The nurse paused for a moment, looked at us, and then said, "Oh, you're the friends of that girl from yesterday. Early this morning, she left the tent, bid farewell, and when we asked her to rest a bit longer, she refused. Ah, she left a letter for you."

The nurse then handed it to us.I quickly took the letter and read it."Hi, Hector, Orion, or Hyperion.By the time you open this letter, I may already be far from you. I may not return for the next week.I will join the front lines of the Nordfeuerkriegertruppe Brigade - the Northern Fire Warrior Brigade, and I will meet you as soon as their battle is over.Oh yes, if Hector reads this, please take care of Orion and Hyperion for me during this week.Thank you.With love,Val"And that's all that was written on the piece of paper.

I asked the nurse again, "Did she leave or convey any other messages?"The nurse shook her head and continued her work

Damn, I felt so disappointed. The fiery enthusiasm that had ignited within me earlier this morning, no, even since last night, and the promise I had made to Val that I would visit her in the infirmary tent early in the morning... Didn't that mean anything to Val?

Couldn't Val wait until morning and bid us farewell in person before leaving again?Why convey her farewell only through a letter?