14

Anastasia climbed the steps to the Astronomy tower, where her prefect duties were for a period of the night.

She was already tired as it is, and she supposed looking at the stars would provide some sort of interest for her patrol.

But instead of the stars, there was something - or rather, someone - at the Astronomy tower who was far more interesting.

Mattheo Riddle.

"Out here so late, Riddle? Surely that could cost you quite a few house points, perhaps even a detention..." Anastasia said, hesitating to go closer to him.

Mattheo turned his head to the side slightly, a small smirk playing at the corner of his mouth. "That doesn't need to happen if you don't do anything, Fletcher. And I trust that you won't, I know you wouldn't want your own house loosing points."

"I wouldn't take away house points, but I'm certain any professor that comes across you will."

"And what will your excuse be when they find you here with me?"

Anastasia paused. What would she do? If a professor did come around... well the situation didn't look too good. "Doesn't matter," she said, waving a hand dismissively. "I'm sure I'll think of something. You on the other hand may not be so lucky."

Mattheo opened his mouth to respond, but heard footsteps climbing the steps to the Astronomy tower. He turned to face her fully, a wide smirk painted on his lips. "You sure you can think of something now?"

Shit.

Anastasia put her hands on her hips, fixing Mattheo with a glare. "For the last time, you shouldn't be up here this late. There could be severe consequences," she scolded him, as the footsteps stopped.

"Miss Fletcher is right, Mr. Riddle. What are you doing here so late?" Professor McGonagall said from behind Anastasia.

"Sorry professor. I was just seeing if I could name the stars, for my Astronomy homework. I must have lost track of time. It won't happen again," Mattheo said, an innocent smile on display.

McGonagall looked between Anastasia and Mattheo, slightly suspicious. "Very well. Miss Fletcher, I trust that you will escort Mr. Riddle back to your common room?"

Anastasia nodded. "Yes, professor."

And with that, Professor McGonagall left the two of them on top of the Astronomy tower. The interaction was far too quick for a situation that looked this bad, but the two Slytherins - or probably just Anastasia - were thankful that it didn't escalate.

"Come on," Anastasia said, beckoning him with her hand.

"You're not seriously going to escort me back, are you?" Mattheo asked, almost in disbelief.

"What's so shocking?" she scoffed.

"Nothing," he said, a slight grin on his face. "Shall we?" Mattheo offered his arm out to her.

"Seriously? Is that really necessary?"

"Hmm, yes. Or I'll make sure McGonagall gives you a detention."

Anastasia rolled her eyes, linking her arm with his, a fluttering sensation erupting the pits of her stomach. As they walked, she kept her gaze down, which looked really obvious, but she knew she would expose herself if she looked up.

Mattheo smirked, keeping his arm wrapped tightly around hers. "Sooo..." he drawled out, looking down at her. They had been walking in silence for quite a while, and he wanted to get her talking.