Chapter three: Two Grieving Swans

"Nathaniel!" I shouted his name outside the gate, in hope he'd turn around instead of walking inside. "What's up?" He turned around and walked toward me. "Listen, I wanted to apologise for how I've been taking to you." I said. "Thank you." He smiled a little. "Yeah, it's just been a little hard moving to a new place with new people." I explained.

"I get it, it's okay. But I can't lie, I was kind of hurt." He chuckled and smiled again. "Let me make it up to you," I said and looked in the air and then back at him, "Do you know any good places to eat here?" I smiled. "Hm, how about you come to my party tonight and make it up for me for how rude you've been." He said in a sarcastic tone.

"Alright then, send me the address." I laughed. "I will—-except I don't have your number." He said and fished for his phone from his pocket. "Alright, now you do." I said after writing the digits to my number. "We're almost late!" He said when the phone was in his hand again.

Everyone was in their seats when we walked into the classroom. "Conn, Nathaniel, you're late." The professor said and stopped us by the door. "Go on, sit." She ordered and we served.

Father walked in on me while I was getting ready for Nathaniel's party.

"Are you going somewhere?" He asked and stepped in the room. "Yeah, to a party." I smiled. "Oh, that's good." He gave me a smile back.

Father used to smile a lot before everything that happened to mother.

When he smiles now, he really means it, but his smile is so sad. It breaks my heart that he isn't happy. "I'm glad you've made some friends, Conn." He smiled and walked away before I could react.

"Hi!" Nathaniel shouted when he saw me come in. He stepped down the stairs and stood in front of me and said, "You look good." He stretched a smile. "Thanks." I said awkwardly. For a moment I thought; what the hell am I doing here, but then I thought of mother. I knew she'd be proud of me for taking this step.
"Wanna get a drink?" He put his hand on my shoulder. "Yeah, I'd like that."

I took a sip from the glass in my hand. Usually, I drink from cups at parties. I'm not really used to the fact that everyone is rich here, even though I'm one of them. When I turned twelve, I asked my parents if I could go to a public school, which they disagreed to. But a year after my request, they decided that it was a good idea.

"So, Conn, why'd you move here?" Nathaniel asked and put his glass on the countertop.
"Uh," I froze, everything suddenly stopped.

"I don't want to talk about it, to be honest." I answered and looked up at him.

"Yeah, it's fine" he smiled.

"I hope you understand." I stared at him awkwardly. "No, I get it. I didn't want to talk about the reason why I moved here years ago as well." He said quietly.

"If it was a long ago, would you mind telling me?" I asked. "I'll tell you, sure. It was because of my brother's death." I looked up at him again. I slowly put my hand on his shoulder. "I'm really sorry, Nathaniel." I said in a sad tone, one that made him sad as well. "Thank you, Conn." He thanked me. "How was he?" I asked, without realising it. His eyes were making the words flow easily out of my head. "He was really nice, everyone who was in his life looked at him as the sweetest person. I've never met anyone having anything against him. Uh, he liked swimming a lot, so he'd always drag us to the beach, even though we have a pool." Nathaniel chuckled, but had a really sad look on his face. "He sounds lovely." I whispered while still looking at him.

It felt like I had found someone who understands me, and that felt good.
Nathaniel didn't know that I knew exactly how he felt. Mother was the reason my life made sense and his brother was his reason.