1: Dead to Me

Choosing Jada [Book 2]

"I'll be back later, Matteo," I said, kissing his forehead and giving him a big hug.

He cooed at me and gave me a happy smile. When I didn't take him into my arms, his frown began form as the quiver started in his lips.

"Thank you, Nicole," I said and gave her a hug.

"See ya later, Jan," Nicole said loudly, rocking the screaming baby in her arms.

I hobbled off to my car so I wouldn't be late. I hated seeing that boy cry. It was so early to leave him alone, but I craved independence. The early morning shift was exhausting after being up all night, but it was doable. The drive over wasn't too far, and I parked in the back. I came in through the employee entranced and straight down the hall to the 2nd door on the right. I then put on the blazer and flats. There was a knock at the door.

"Janet, come see me when you're dressed," my boss said through the door.

"Yeah, will do," I responded. I grabbed my things. I opened the door with my cane and made my way to the bosses office.

"Hey, what's up," I asked. I leaned on the door frame, my back facing the lobby. My cane leaned against her desk.

"Yeah, we have one room that's been given a final warning to room 307. We also have a huge party during check-in time. I need you to review the complaints for overcharging during downtime and to assign the maids to the room," Cat said. Just as she was seemingly finishing up, I heard the elevator door ding, a guess was coming down.

"Good morning!" I called out in a rapsy voice. I guess I had not woekn up all the way just yet. I softly cleared my voice so I could be heard better and able to better assist the incoming patron.

"Good morning," a man's deep voice said behind me. I stood up and placed my cane down for a moment as I used the door frame as a leaning point and looked for the face to the voice. I faced the lobby to see who was around this early. My eyes landed on his, and we made instant eye contact. His deep brown eyes and dark demeanor greeted mine in utter shock and disbelief.

"Jada," I heard him say firmly as I stood frozen.

All I could think was Alessio. He didn't second guess it. He knew it was me even with my changes in appearance.

I held my cane, gripping it tightly as I felt myself start to falter. He was here. Somehow, he was here and found me. The bastard was here. The monster himself stared, never letting his eyes move from me. He had gone pale as he stared me down. He looked the same as yet slightly different. I turned my gaze to my boss in her office.

"I... I, uh, need to take my break," I said. She looked at me for a moment.

"Please," I added.

She nodded. I gripped my cane tighter and steadied myself before entering the lobby. My leg was still recovering, and the physical therapy was expensive, but I was making slow improvements. I had hoped I had more time, but I didn't.

I saw him talking to some Italian woman I had never seen before. I tried not to pay too much mind as I walked over. I exited from behind the front desk and stood there. My heart beat in my chest rapidly. I was afraid and surprised. Alessio wasn't already flying off the handle. I expected his crazy demanor. His forceful ways.

"Fuck off," Alessio says angrily and turned to me.

He looked me up and down, his eyes widened as my cane. By the time he met my eyes, he had tears welling up in his. He gently reached out to try and touch my face, but I pulled back. This wasn't some reunion, I was actively trying to stay away from him for our safety.

"Jada.." His voice said softly.

"G-go home, Alessio," I managed to say as firmly as I could muster. My voice was only slightly wavering. I adverted from his gaze. Alessio was a dangerous man, a scary man, and I was brainwashed enough to even think he liked me or care about me. He was crazy. He hurt me. He kidnapped me. He tricked me. He cornered me. My daddy issues and that terrifying situation had me thinking crazy. If he took me away, he would chain me away. He would hurt me. He might end me forever. I didn't want to be stuck with him. I left literally EVERYTHING and everyone just so we could stay safe.

"I won't go with you. You just need to go home and pretend you never saw me," I added quickly. He bit his lip nervously before looking around.

"I-I thought you were dead," he said. I nodded slowly. There were lots of lies involved in my escape. How did he even figure this out. I couldn't run anymore. I just needed to make it home.

"Jada I-" He started but I interrupted him.

"I'm not Jada. My name is Janet. Go. Home," I told him.

A/N
This is a sneak peak at book 2! Current working title 'After Jada'. Thank you to anyone who read and loved my first book [5.5k reads in total, WOW!] so much you wanted more. After taking some time out to flesh out what I thought would be the epilog, it fit way better as a 2nd book.
Planned release date is Friday April 19th, 2024.
Tell me what you think so far?
Predictions?
How is the book cover? Too plain?

A/N 4/19/24
The title has been changed to Choosing Jada. Make sure you check it out. Book has dropped today!