Chapter 1: Prologue

TBH the alternate history of this story is pretty dark. So expect that every novels I make are gorey and has matured languages. I'll try to make each chapters as realistic as possible, so if there are any problems, don't be afraid commenting it. Like I said, criticism is accepted.

.

.

.

.

.

Kingdom of Arcadia, Nova Roma, January 21, 2025

Nova Roma, also known as New Rome, stood as a bustling metropolis, home to 41 million citizens and the pride of the Kingdom of Arcadia

Nova Roma, also known as New Rome, stood as a bustling metropolis, home to 41 million citizens and the pride of the Kingdom of Arcadia. It was the first city the Romans had ever built, dating back to 151 AD. People filled the sidewalks, going about their daily lives, while vehicles hummed along the roads. However, stationed every 40 meters were Arcadian troops, as the Kingdom employed the military as the police force in its cities.

Inside the Palace of Nova Roma sat the office of King Gabriel Augustine I. The 67-year-old monarch was hailed as a global hero, having freed the world from the shackles of Fascism. He was revered as the liberator of the world, the greatest man in history. Yet, his life had been marred by personal tragedies. During the Nazi reign of terror on Arcadia and the subsequent 40-year-long war, he had lost many loved ones.

Publicly executed by the Germans, half of his family had perished. His wife was lost to a German attempt on his life in 1988, and two of his sons fell in battle against the Germans in 1990, with another son lost more recently in 2017 from the Japanese. He mourned the loss of millions of his soldiers, whom he had regarded as brothers-in-arms. However, his hope persisted, as his 15-year-old grandson, Crown Prince Gabriel Augustine II, was poised to be his heir.

The door creaked softly as it opened, and King Gabriel I looked up from his desk to see his advisor, Sir Herald Aeneas, standing before him, holding a document. "Your Highness," Herald spoke, waving the document in the air, "I bring news, both good and bad, from East Asia."

The King sighed heavily, leaning back in his chair. "Begin with the good news, please," he requested politely.

"Your Majesty, East Asia is on the path to recovery. We have successfully rebuilt infrastructure, with Indonesia and Siam nearly fully recovered from the destruction," Herald relayed the positive news. King Gabriel I sighed in relief, though it quickly faded. "And the bad news?" he inquired.

Herald nodded somberly. "The bad news is that there are still Japanese holdouts throughout Southeast Asia, particularly in the Philippine province of Visayas. An estimated 40,000 Japanese soldiers continue to fight, despite the end of the war and the fall of Tokyo," Herald reported.

King Gabriel I clicked his tongue in frustration. "Like damn cockroaches," he muttered. "Thank you for the report. You may go now," the King dismissed Herald, who exited the King's office, gently closing the door behind him.