Side Chapter 1: Memories from the Past

Warning: this chapter is mildly sensitive. Just read it yourselves.

Kingdom of Arcadia, Flashback, February 7, 2016

"Agh!" A cry escaped the lips of a young boy as he fell to the ground, clutching his stomach in pain, his wooden sword slipping from his grasp.

Standing over him, a tall, imposing figure cast a shadow over the boy. The man, muscular and stern-looking, sported a 1920s-style mustache and glared down at the boy with red eyes blazing with anger. He held a long wooden sword, mirroring the one the boy had dropped.

In a loud, rough voice, the man barked, "Stand up, Gabriel!"

The boy was none other than Crown Prince Gabriel II, slowly rose to his feet, wincing. He retrieved his wooden sword and replied, "Yes, father," his voice filled with determination despite the pain, as he wiped a trickle of blood from his mouth.

The man, Gabriel's father, Mirius Augustine V, in his mid-20s at the time, had forced his young son into a grueling duel, pushing him to his limits despite Gabriel II being only 6 years old. Gabriel II assumed his battle stance, preparing to face his father.

As they readied to attack, Gabriel II's legs buckled under the strain, and he collapsed onto the dirty ground. Despite his efforts, he struggled to stand, coughing up more blood in the process. Witnessing this, Mirius V grew angrier and more disappointed.

"Get up quickly! You don't want me to strike you again," Mirius V growled in a deep, angry voice.

Finally managing to stand, albeit unsteadily, the young Prince prepared himself once more. After a tense moment, they charged at each other. Mirius V swung his wooden sword downward, but Gabriel II managed to block it, though the force of the blow knocked him back to the ground.

Undeterred, Mirius V swung again, this time using the dull, pointed part of the wooden sword. Acting on instinct, the young Prince rolled away in pain and quickly got back on his feet. Despite his tender age, Gabriel II displayed surprising strength and resilience, more akin to that of four teenagers, thanks to the Royal Augustine blood coursing through his veins. However, he was clearly outmatched by his father.

Gabriel II winced in pain as he forced himself to stand, readying himself for another blow from his father and searching for an opening. Mirius V charged at him with great speed, swinging his wooden sword and landing a powerful blow on Gabriel II's shoulders. Though it was painful, the young prince bit his tongue, refusing to show weakness as his father had instructed.

In retaliation, Gabriel II swung his own wooden sword, striking Mirius V's hip and causing him to grunt in pain, stepping back several feet. Despite his exhaustion and pain, Gabriel II stood his ground. It was a harsh training regime for a child, but not uncommon; in the military, children as young as seven were already in service. Gabriel II, however, had started a year earlier than most.

Mirius V recovered immediately and charged at Gabriel II once more, ready to strike. Gabriel, however, was too slow, too preoccupied with the pain. He shut his eyes, bracing himself for the blow. Instead of the expected strike from the wooden sword, he felt a sharp pain in his stomach as his father kneed him, sending him flying backwards to the ground.

Groaning, Gabriel II lay on the ground, clutching his stomach. His once pristine white long-sleeved polo was now dirtied and stained with blood from his mouth. After a moment, a woman in an elegant dress burst into the dueling room, followed by some maids and servants. It was Avia Augustine, Gabriel II's mother.

"Halt this now!" she shouted, rushing over to her son, who lay on the ground in pain, followed by a maid carrying a first aid kit.

Avia, trembling with a mix of anger and concern, directed the maids and servants to attend to Gabriel's injuries. Once she was sure he was being cared for, she stood up and turned to face her husband, Mirius V. Her eyes blazed with fury, and her voice was sharp as she addressed him.