Chapter 163 - Clinging To Consistency

~~~

The evening drags on for a few more hours and by then it's late. The six hotpots have been practically licked clean and everyone's stomachs are full. Kira discovered a lot from most of the students of Class B, where they did their work studies, what they learnt and what's next for them and vice versa. They're equally as interested to find out what Kira might have picked up on during her stay with Endeavour. She shares what she can, but truthfully, she hasn't learnt much physically, but mentally... she understands a lot more.

Kira and Bakugou have been basically joined at the hip ever since Monoma declared their pointless hotpot competition. Class B end up winning the game, and Monoma wants to take it one step further by announcing a losers dare. His idea is immediately shot down by everyone, claiming that all they want to do now is relax and finish off the rest of the hotpots, which they do.

But, as the evening continues, and small crowds gather to gossip and converse, Kira finds herself constantly with him. Whether she's chatting to the girls from Class A or the boys from Class B, Bakugou eventually finds her, sliding beside her, but never joining in with the conversation. She can't judge him, as time and again, she finds herself doing the same thing. She'll search for his familiarity in the dorms, noticing him immediately, as he's forced to converse with the students. He looks like he wants to run away from it all, clearly not interested in learning where everyone did their work studies. So, she follows his lead, stepping into the mingling circle, right by his side. He notices the repeated gesture, but doesn't comment on it. Though, her presence is enough to make him relax it seems. They do this all evening, sticking close to each others sides just to provide a modicum of support and comfort, but never speaking. It's not like they really need to, as being in each others company is always more than enough.

Eventually, Class B have no choice but to retreat back to their dorms - they've all got classes tomorrow and they've already stayed out past curfew. Kira and the girls show them to the exit, holding out their now clean pots for them to carry back. They thank each other profusely, promising to do this again soon, but whether they'll have the time or not is still unknown. Monoma tries to throw out the last word, hurling unnecessary insults as Kendo shoves him out the front doors, his crudeness aimed solely at Bakugou still. He comments on his sudden change in personality, which seems to strike a cord in Bakugou. He notices his transformation too, his shocking placidness during tonight's confrontation against Monoma.

Iida locks the doors behind Class B and Bakugou turns away from the scene, grumbling under his breath. Kira considers following him, to remain by his side, but he's probably had enough of her, wanting to be by himself to mull over Monoma's hurtful, yet truthful words. Bakugou's progress throughout this year hasn't gone unnoticed, not by anyone. Kira can see it, the teachers, the other students. She wonders if this embarrasses him, if he feels like it's nothing but a shallow weakness. Would it be easier to stay the same person all year long, like everything they've been through and shared together has no meaning?

Kira turns away from Bakugou's back, hearing him grab some dirty dishes, aiming to get ahead with the cleaning, it seems. Her eyes instantly find Midoriya across the room, chuckling at something Ochaco said, a pink tinge decorating his cheeks and nose. Those two have always been close since the start of the year and they talk a lot, always around one another. They must know each other quite well.

Despite Kira's affinity with Bakugou, there are times where he's nothing more than a stranger to her, his mind closed off, his heart hidden behind his walls. Like now - it's clear that Monoma's cruel, precise words have affected him in some deep way, but instead of confiding in her, like she wants, he's turned his back to her. His actions always cause her to second-guess herself, wondering if she should approach him in any way, or if that will only result in a cold shoulder.