Catching a Rat

He knows that he's doing something wrong- but he doesn't know what. He feels that he doesn't know how to change because this whole time- he thought he was being a good guy! Getting the freshest food to make the restaurant the best it can be- taking his employees out for drinks- making conversation! Were these not all good things?

Marcel was determined to make it up to everyone, so he went home, and woke up nice and early in the morning, fighting the urge to go back to sleep. When he entered the restaurant at 6:00 am sharp, Carol, who was refilling the napkins at a table, was surprised to see him come in so early. However, she was too mad at him to be impressed, or even to tease him about always being late, so she continued setting up the table on her own.

Marcel walked in confidently and greeted the few employees preparing the dining area, then the cooks in the kitchen. Throughout the day, he made his presence known in the kitchen, helping in every way he could, even cooking a couple dishes. He burned both of them and was suggested to do no more cooking, but the effort was appreciated by his employees. Most of them were still warming up to him, but the tension in the air was a little less thick. Carol felt like something was up, and wasn't fully trusting of this sudden change.

But throughout the week, Marcel was persistent. He wanted to make sure he could do everything he could to get everyone to love him. Once Thursday rolled around, there was a little more trust throughout the kitchen, not by much, but it was there.

After the restaurant closed up, it was time for Marcel to get the restaurants food supply, but unlike the other times he went on his expedition, his gut felt like a disturbed hornets nest. Now that they were actually starting to like him, if his employees found out about the danger he was putting him, all he'd worked for would vanish. His restaurant needed food, good food. He couldn't just not steal from the humans, but he would have to be more careful.

So, when scurried behind the painting through the wall, to the left, right, right and left again he took his time, and was even slower and more inconspicuous. He made sure to hide in the shadows and behind appliances, just so he wouldn't be spotted by anyone.

But there was one thing he didn't realize. Despite his many efforts to remain unfounded, when he passed through the painting, it's bottom left corner got jabbed into the corner of the passageway, making a small bit of the hole visible.

Brie entered Marcels kitchen to do her usual snooping. She'd noticed that the painting was no longer flat on the wall, and when she moved it, the tunnel was revealed. So, feeling that she finally made a breakthrough, she scurried through- left, right, right then left, and found her way to the human restaurant. Marcels secret was revealed.

Brie looked around the restaurant when she spotted Marcel leaving the pantry with a full burlap sack. Once Marcel climbed up to the counter, he saw Brie and jumped.

MARCEL: "YAHH!" He yelped as he dropped the sack.

Brie looked at him with a sinister smile.

BRIE: "Hello, Marcel."

MARCEL: "Uhm.. Brie..!" He laughed uncomfortably.

Brie held her smile and put her hands behind her back, gesturing at the burlap sack with her head.

BRIE: "What's that you've got there?"

MARCEL: "I.. uhm.."

He paused for a moment.

MARCEL: "Please don't tell anybody! Please- I can't have this getting out- I'll do anything!!"
He interlocks his fingers together, getting on his knees.

BRIE: "Nobody has to find out.. if you cut me a percentage."

MARCEL: "Seriously..?"

BRIE: "Mhm." She closed her eyes.

MARCEL: "I can't just do that!"

BRIE: "Alright fine, I'll go tell everyone."
She turned her body facing the tunnel.

MARCEL: "Wait!" He sighs and squeezes his eyes shut. "Fine."

Brie turns her head to face Marcel again.

MARCEL: "Ill give you ten percent."

BRIE: "Ha! Absolutely not. Twenty."

MARCEL: "Fifteen?"

BRIE: "Twenty."

MARCEL: "Fine."

He takes out some of the food and gives Brie her percentage before they walk back to the restaurant in silence.

Over the next few weeks, every Thursday, Marcel would gather the food, give Brie her cut, and head back to the restaurant. And every week, she would demand more and more food. Eventually, the staff started to noticed, and would frequently run out of stock in certain areas, making them unable to serve certain dishes. This secret was affecting his restaurant, and Marcel had to do something about it.

On a Wednesday morning, Marcel gathered his employees and decided that he was going to tattle.

MARCEL: "Guys.. there's something that's been.. r-really concerning me.." He said with fake, dramatic tears in his eyes.

MARCEL: "Over the past few weeks, I've been noticing Brie.." he sniffed in nonexistent snot. "..stealing from the humans.."

The crowd of workers gasped.

GREG: "Are you serious??"

CAROL: "Of course Brie would do something like that."

Marcel inhales quickly through his nose once more.

MARCEL: "I didn't tell you guys because she's been b-blackmailing me.. but I've just had enough!!" He starts breaking down crying dramatically.

Greg walked over to Marcel and placed a hand on his back in comfort.

CAROL: "What is she blackmailing you with.?"

MARCEL: "What..?" He replies, his tears slowing down.

CAROL: "You said she was blackmailing you, with what?"

Marcel immediately stops crying.

MARCEL: "That's unimportant."

COLBY: "How do we know that she's even been stealing? Do you have any proof?"

OCTAVIO: "Yea, that's a fair point."

MARCEL: "Well of course I have proof. She gets her food from there every Thursday, if you wait outside her restaurant you can catch her with a bag of perfect nuts, and perfect fruits, and perfect.. Taleggio Cheese.." He clenches his furry fist to his heart and a tear falls from his eye.

CAROL: "Don't you-?" Marcel interrupts her.

MARCEL: "Alright so it's settled, after closing time, hide in the bushes outside and I'll meet you guys there."

CAROL: "You'll meet us there? What will you be doing in the mean time?"

MARCEL: "Oh uh.. just some paper work I need to catch up on."

She accepted his answer and they all agreed. The next day went by like normal, but there was a hint of anticipation all around the building. Once the restaurant closed, everyone left and waited outside Bries Restaurant, and immediately after everyone left, Marcel rushed over to the human restaurant as quickly as he could. He wanted to make sure that he got to her restaurant in time to both catch Brie and raise any suspicion off himself.