Rodents Remorse

Once he got to the human restaurant, he crawled down the counter, and scurried across the tile to the pantry. He grabbed all the food he could get, wanting to give Brie as much food as he could to make her look as greedy as possible. With the sack of food over his shoulder, he turned to leave the pantry when he heard the ding of a bell and loud, slow footsteps. He turned his head and saw it. A human.

He quickly scattered back into the pantry, hoping if he hid, the person wouldn't notice him and leave. He crawled behind a sack of potatoes and waited as quiet as- well, a rat.

The footsteps slowly got closer and closer to the pantry, until the doorknob slowly turned, unleashing a beam of light which illuminated the dark, closet-like space. Marcel held his breath. The tall, dark figure revealed itself when it flipped the light switch. It was a hairy beast of a human and wore thick, black spectacles. This one was much bigger and wider than most of the humans Marcel had seen. The human began searching around the dimly lit pantry, walking passed Marcel to grab a few tomatoes near the back wall of the pantry. From there, it slowly made its way towards Marcel. It inched closer as it grabbed some celery around the middle shelf. Then it took a few steps towards Marcel, kneeled down, and reached to grab a potato from the bag that Marcel was hiding behind. It's hand searched around the net-like bag, until it picked up a potato and got back up. With the vegetables in a cradle hold, it walked past Marcel and grabbed hold of the doorknob, preparing to let itself out. Marcel let out a sigh of relief, and the beast turned its head to take a look around the small room. It's eyes pondered around the potatoes, right where Marcel was. He ducked as low as he could and squeezed his furry chest tightly.

In a split second, the humans eyes widened as they darted over to the small rodent and dropped all the vegetables in its hand.

Marcel instantly jumped off the rack, still holding onto the sack of food, and started running out of the pantry on all fours. The human began chasing him with its arms spread out in front of itself, it's footsteps thunderous and scattered. Marcel ran to his left, trying anything to get to the passage back to his restaurant. He climbed up the drawer handles one by one, but once he got to the top, the human snatched him up with its greasy hands and lifted him up a foot away from its face, revealing it's sinister grin. Marcel turned his head left and right, then bit the humans finger, making it drop him on his back. The wind was knocked out of him from the fall, but he quickly got up and looked for another escape. He noticed that the front door was propped open, so he made a run for it. The human recovered from the biting, and still had a burning desire the catch that rat. It chased Marcel out the front door, the cold breeze of the night slapping them in the face. Marcel wanted to do everything he could to survive, and to him, that meant getting back to his town. As he ran down the street, he saw the the alleyway where his home was in the distance, and more importantly, Bries restaurant. However the human was gaining on him. The bag of food he carried in his mouth was weighing him down, but he believed his plan still had a chance, and couldn't give up on it, so he clenched his teeth harder and ran with all his speed.

Just as the human was about to reach Marcel, he entered the alleyway to safety. The town of rats watched in horror as the human struggled to get through the tight alleyway, still desperately trying to capture Marcel. Its torso was leaning over the alleyway and his hip was just barely too big to fit through. It's arms flailed around frantically and it's shoulders were bent forward from the tight squeeze. The kitchen staff was hiding in the bushes, originally with intent to reveal Brie's thievery, but now in safety. Everyone went from watching outside to stowing themselves away to keep out of sight. The human tried to get through for a while, but no matter how much it tried, it was simply too big to fit, so it eventually gave up and left.