Chapter 3

When Carrie finished work and clocked out for the day, she was immensely relieved. She slipped into her silver BMW with a long relaxed sigh as she melted into the seat. She checked the time on her phone, groaning when seeing that it was nearing ten thirty. She went to bed around ten when she could, following Benjamin Franklin's saying, "early to bed and early to rise makes the man healthy, wealthy and wise." She repeated that to herself in a murmuring tone. From somewhere in front of her a voice called, "is that so, Carrie?" She jumped and hit her head on the roof. 

"Damn you, Ryder. I thought I was alone." She mumbled. He chuckled. "You have your window down. But anyway, night." He called from across the lot. "night." She replied, starting her car and driving away. When she got home,she kicked off her heels with a yawn. Striding into her bathroom to remove her makeup, she felt her phone vibrate in her pocket and she swore. She read the text from her friend in the medical examiners office and replied that she just got home, and would look at the body later. She sighed, rubbing a damp cloth over her face. She was exhausted. She quickly changed into her pajamas, curling up into her bed. Within moments, she was fast asleep.

Carrie awoke in the middle of the night with a jolt, hearing a knock on her door. She groaned loudly, and slipped on some flip flops, grabbing her pepper spray  going to the door. She opened the door and looked around, and then there was a  sharp blow to the side of her head. She let out a small gasp, legs crumpling. She knew that blow would have been enough to knock out a untrained woman, but not her. She grabbed her pepper spray, swinging it around blindly in the dark. Once regaining her balance, she flipped on her porch light. There was a random thug laying on the ground, twitching with a knife in his hand. She rolled her eyes, bending down and backhanding his roughly.

 She lived in a rough neighborhood by choice so she could keep an eye on the gangs and drug dealers. She of course, didn't tell her 'neighbors ' she was a cop. Her story was that she used to be a stripper in a bar but got fired for seducing her manager. In reality of course, she had done nothing of the sort. She was too tired to drive to the station herself so she stepped inside, grabbing her phone and dialing 911 to come pick him up. Once off the phone, she leant against her door frame,  kicking the man to make sure he was out every so often and staring up at the stars. After a while, there were hurried footsteps coming towards her. She cast her harsh gaze upon the dark skinned woman who had come into view. "Right here, 'officer' " She drawled out with a smirk. The beautiful woman merely smiled, cuffing him. "Thanks, Ms. Washington." She grinned, dragging him away."Anytime"She mumbled back, shutting her door. She slipped her shoes off with a relaxed sigh.

 A cop's work never ended...