Chapter 5

When they reached the parking lot, where their cruiser was parked in a corner, Carrie gave Ryder a quick look. She was sure he was hiding something, and her cop's instinct told her to keep an eye on him. "You driving?" She asked him. "Unless you want to." He replied, unlocking the car. "I'm good. You drive, I'll look for trouble." she replied, sliding into the passenger's seat with a deep sigh. He nodded and plopped down in the driver's seat, adjusting the seat for himself and starting the car. "And don't you go too fast this time." She warned him with a stern expression. "Aw, come on. That was only one time!" He fake pouted. "Don't." She glared at him while checking her holster to make sure her gun, taser, and pepper spray were secured. 

"Alright.." He mumbled, backing out of the lot and heading for the troubled part of the city, where they were bound to find someone doing something wrong. After a few minutes of silent driving, Carrie pointed and said, "Pull up over there." There was a suspicious group of boys all smoking and seeming to yell at a smaller, scrawny boy. " You got it." Ryder said, parking in the nearest spot to them. She again checked her holster before stepping out of the car and striding towards them. 

"How old are you boys?" She asked firmly. "Why do you want to know, lady?" The taller boy said indignantly, making a point to blow his cigarette smoke at her. She frowned and coughed a little before replying, "Baltimore police department." She flashed her badge. "I'll ask again. How old are you?" "fifteen, why?" He replied, stepping a bit closer to her, the look in his eyes menacing. She swatted the cigarette out of his mouth. "Now hold on lady.. " The boy began, a hand slowly gravitating towards his pocket where a bulge of something was. She glared at him. "Relax, I'm not doing anything.." He grunted. Suddenly, he moved fast and pulled out a handgun, firing randomly before taking off across the street. 

Waves of pain washed over her when a bullet skimmed her arm. "Ryder!" She yelled at the car, making him jump out and rush over to her. "You alright?" He asked worriedly. "Yeah, I'm fine. Let's get that kid." She replied, waiting a second for the cars to stop before she too streaked across the street, where the kid was standing,taunting her. He was obviously intoxicated, because he tried to run and stumbled, hitting the pavement. She quickly tackled him, Ryder on her tail. Ryder tossed her his handcuffs and she forced his hands behind his back, cuffing him with obvious difficulty. "I've got it.." He mumbled, touching her shoulder. She frowned but stood up when prompted to. "Come on punk." Ryder grunted.  She sighed deeply, holding her arm and lazily beginning to recite his rights. "You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be provided for you. Do you understand the rights I have just read to you? With these rights in mind, do you wish to speak to me?" She tilted her head and stopped at the car. "Hell no." He glared at her. She made a quick swiping motion to Ryder.

 He opened the door and shoved the kid in. By this time, her hand was soaked with blood where she was holding her shoulder. "We need to get you to the hospital, Carrie." He said softly. "Nonsense. I can't Affo-" She slid into her seat, digging in the glovebox for a long, thick piece of gauze with a faint blush. "Help me." She said simply. He nodded and quickly began  to wrap it around her arm, being especially gentle. "Stop treating me like a child, Ryder. I can handle a little bit of pain." She sighed. "Yeah, yeah. I know you and I know you're hurting a lot." He 'tsk'ed, finishing wrapping. "When I drop the kid off should I leave you at the station?" He asked, knitting his eyebrows in obvious concern.

"I'm fine to keep working, I can handle it." She said in a matter of fact way. "Yep, sure. I totally believe you." He said sarcastically. "Shut up, smart ass." She reached over and gave him a light slap on the cheek. He chuckled. "As stubborn as ever." "I said shut up!" She said indignantly. He just heaved a sigh and kept his eyes on the road. Her eyes threatened to close and she leaned against the window heavily. "A little nap wouldn't hurt." She decided to herself in an undertone. Her head lolled onto her chest and she fell asleep almost as soon as she finished speaking. "Goodnight, lovely." Ryder cooed with a chuckle.

  I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent.

-Gandhi